Sailors on the Sea

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What Do I Know - I Write What I Feel

Writing Apprentice made me feel young again, such I have not felt in more years than I can count. Oh, the wonder of being young. Where did it go?

Nowhere.

Senior Citizens still call me "youngster", but most people in this society view me as "old". In my heart of hearts I still feel young. However, like so many I have layered my youthful feelings with a lot of baggage "old" people carry. Still, when I find the door to my heart I am young again. That's what happened with Apprentice. It began as 500 words of feelings. From that I was able to take an idea and write a story about falling in love. Falling in love is so young.

My grandfather died when he was 67. Grandma lived several years alone in the house by Willow River, and she aged. Then, just a few weeks before I was married, Grandma bumped into a childhood sweetheart who had been a widower for a number of years. They fell in love all over again and the impact on Grandma was immediate. Just before Spouse and I left the reception I went to Grandma and gave her a hug and kiss. I asked her where she (and Eddie) were off to. Her eyes glinted like a school girl and she laughed at me. "We're not telling. We're on our honeymoon, too."

Grandma had another fifteen years of youth - despite her aging body - before Eddie died at age 90. After Eddie passed on Grandma began to age again. That was when Spouse and I confided to her that, after seventeen years, we decided to have our own baby, but she wasn't to tell anyone. Grandma loved that. Secrets. Children eat that kind of stuff for breakfast. She lived to see her grandson reach the age of four. Then it was time for her own exit from this world.

While I know there are members of my own family who will not like Apprentice, somehow I think Grandma would love it. She was a Child Dreamer who lived on this earth for ninety years. She would have read it, complimented me, and then proceded to tell me why it didn't quite work and how I could improve it.

I am glad there are other Child Dreamers in this world. I count myself among them. Most haven't been on Earth as long as me, but that's okay. We're all young. But then, what do I know. I write what I feel.

You have a good day now. You hear?

No comments:

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think