Sailors on the Sea

Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Vents are Closed for Today

Today is my scheduled day for venting. However, not being in a particularly venting mood right now, I think I will talk a bit about the new story I am writing.

The title is still floundering about in my head, but that's no matter. Something will rise to the surface, I'm sure. Right now, I am writing under the working title, Apprentice.

The story is the result of a writing exercise I took (see my post of January 2, 2009: A Tool Every Writer Should Own, for links to the exercise and FairyHedgeHog, who found it). As my good friend, FairyHedgeHog, wrote: I seem to be entering a new area of creativity.

I like that. I hope it's true.

There were indications last spring, as I worked on Tavaar's backstory, that I was heading in this direction. Not sure why. Have a few ideas, though. In any case, I feel myself drawn forward to continue writing. It's almost - but not quite the same as - like when I wrote certain chapters of Books I, II and III. It's much more like when I wrote Tavaar's backstory.

What is it that is compelling me to write this? It violates the first rule I learned from my creative writing teacher more than thirty years ago. She told me to "write what I know". Well I don't know this subject. Or do I?

Spouse doesn't like the story. I had to suffer an hour of anger when I revealed what I was about to write. What I find interesting, though, is that I brought it up again yesterday, happy that I had written nearly 3,000 words and wanting to share it with Spouse. Once again, the room's air began to thicken. Then I repeated FairyHedgeHog's observation that I was entering a new realm of creativity. I added that it was like buying a new house. The first thing you do is explore all of the corners to find out which rooms are going to be best for eating, sleeping, family gathering and storage. When I said that, Spouse looked at me and smiled. The air freshened. Even after thirty years Spouse can still surprise me. I like that. You know?

For a long time now I have found myself concerned with the idea of love. What does it mean to love someone else? What does it mean to be loved? Why is it that some loves almost require physical contact and some don't want it at all? Why does sexual intercourse become prominent with one love, but is completely abhorent with another? And yet the love is there for both. Why is it that, the more we give our love away (and 'give' is the important word here) the more we seem to have to give? Why is it that love can be so frightening? And then so tender? What is it about love that makes us crave it so?

I think I know, but I've only just begun to explore this new house. I'm beginning with Kiahva's room. Kiahva is a beautiful young girl of eighteen who wants to attain the high position of Lady in one of the valley villages. To accomplish this she is submitting herself to a seven-year apprenticeship to the greatest Modiste in the land. Through the love of a friend, Kiahva will learn what it means to truly be in love.

Maybe that's what the compulsion is all about. I've lived in this house for a very long time, but there are rooms I have not entered in years. It's time to clean this one out, I think. And you know, it's not so dark in here as I remember.

You all have a good day. Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

It sounds like an intriguing exploration.

You've been married more than 30 years? Husband and I have our 30th anniversary this year in June.

I'm interested in the way that love changes over time. I find it almost frightening that after all this time I just can't imagine being without him.

I look forward to seeing where you go to with this.

Bevie said...

Thanks. I'm actually excited about this. I feel giddy like a kid.

Actually, I was rounding. Spouse and I will reach 30 years this November. I remember years four through about twelve were very rough, and it's amazing we remained together. Now, it's like we can't be apart. It took a while, but we finally understand each other. Well, mostly. There are still surprises, and that keeps things spicey.

Apprentice is taking up more words than I thought, or intended. I wanted this to be short, and I want to get to the end. But I don't want to rush it. I want to declare my two characters are in love, but I need the journey. Love doesn't happen by accident. The choices we make in falling in love are based on reasons (even though we often do not realize we are choosing to fall in love until after it has happened).

How much of the journey should I include? I expect I could write thousands upon thousands of words, but Readers want to get to the end, too. I didn't put together any kind of outline because I thought this would only go about 5,000 words and be done. Now I'm not sure. It could go as high as 10,000 words before I begin editing the draft.

I know you haven't read anything I've written, but do you have any thoughts/suggestions for me? I have a pretty solid idea of how the ending will play out. I could jump to it at most any time, but I'm thinking there should be a conflict. Or is a story just about falling in love enough?

fairyhedgehog said...

Does a story about falling in love include conflict? I would have thought it could easily, either between characters, or within a character, or with family who object, or circumstances that conspire against the lovers.

I know no more about writing than you do so I can't really say, except why not write what you want to write and then you can always edit it later.

Bevie said...

"why not write what you want to write and then you can always edit it later."

Nothing makes more sense than that.

Thanks

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think