Sailors on the Sea

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Finding the Beginning

There was a film I used to own which followed the career of The Beatles. There were no interviews with the band members themselves, but George Martin and some of their friends did contribute. There was also a good store of clips from Brian Epstein and the band members. I'm sorry I let that get sold at a garage sale. It's not even like we got that much money for it.

There is a point in the film where the narrator talks about how the group would periodically "freeze up" creatively. At those times they would pull back, come together (no pun intended) and return to their "roots" by playing good old-fashioned Beatles Music. That's kind of what their Let It Be and Abbey Road albums were.

I find the same to be true with my writing. Oh, I'm hardly worthy to be compared to an international rock group, I know. But the principal is the same. Some times, like now, I need to go back and write the way I did at the beginning. My subject matter has changed, perhaps, but the whimsical frolicking of just "writing what I feel" without regard to criticism, quality or content is a freeing experience. As FairyHedgeHog commented to me (on an earlier post), it "opens new areas of creativity". It does. It really does.

Today's post is supposed to be about "what I am learning". Well, what I am learning through my whimsical romps (when I dare make them) is that there is another place where I can go to write. The fantasy worlds where I have been writing for most of my life are still lovely, and remain at my disposal. But there is this new place, which I've been too fearful to explore, which promises new perspective and emotional release. And what it wants from me to enter - is whimsy. Serious writing may come later, but for now, it's about expressing joy.

The child in me is happy. I'm back at the beginning and trying something new.

It's fun and games time, people.

NOTE: Don't expect too many of these new expressions to show up, though. It's going to be child-writing-by-an-adult. Hardly worthy of a read.

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

Yay! Fun and games time!

I hope you have lots of fun.

Bevie said...

Already have. I wrote a short, poem-like piece which qualifies as a Rabbit Hole Day submission. I'm thinking of posting it, but probably on SOF - The People. There's another one of a similar style I'm going to write, too.

I love this kind of writing. It makes me feel like a kid again. (Even if my knees tell me otherwise. [grin])

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think