Sailors on the Sea

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Points, Curves, Themes and Messages

The other day I began writing a new story. It's a fantasy tale depicting a kingdom in which music is a living being who helps the current king rule with a fair hand. A good friend of mine also began writing a new story. She isn't ready to share it yet because, in her words: It's a bit like a soap bubble - very pretty but don't put any pressure on it!

Do you know what she means? I do. Some stories are private, at least at the beginning. Like butterflies fresh from their chrysalis they need to pump the juices of life into their wings before they attempt to take flight. And then they are beautiful!

I told her I kind of wish I had kept my mouth shut about my latest work, except to state it exists. No matter. It's not dead yet - nor deformed. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not committed to anything I've written about it and if it needs to change in order to fly, then change it will.

The exchange got me to thinking. So many times I have been asked about my writing: What is the point? What are you trying to tell me? And so many times I have fallen into the trap of trying to answer that question. It's easy for me to do because I would very much like to be wise, having important things to say which make people's lives better for having heard my words. Pipe dream.

The truth is, my purpose in writing is not to provide any message to anyone, at least, not the writing I enjoy most. Another friend wrote that she loves her manuscript. That's the reason we write, isn't it? Writing is an expression of some kind of love which can only be released through the power of the written word. It is powerful, and sometimes even touchy-feely.

We write to express ourselves, and that is why it can hurt when others don't particularly like what we've written. Nothing hurts so badly as unrequited love. And a story which fails to reach its readership is exactly that - even if its a how-to book on properly mucking out the barn.

Messages? We write for ourselves and hope others love what we've written. Isn't that so? Or am I deluded again?

Good luck to my friends with their works. I know their butterflies will be beautiful indeed.

No comments:

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think