Sailors on the Sea

Friday, January 30, 2009

Well, I liked it Anyway

No comments on Lawn Bunnies. That's a pity. I thought it was funny. In a kind of twisted way. I read it to Spouse and Son. There was this delayed pause before they laughed. Son really thought it was funny, so I guess I should have posted it on a site for sixth-graders.

The poem started out to be one of those lovey-dovey pieces extolling the virtues of nature and causing readers to think about the beauty of a rabbit's life. Unfortunately, I have a bit of a twisted sense of humor, and I thought of a scene in Watership Down in which Fiver walks to the edge of a field in time to see Violet get taken by an owl, or hawk. I couldn't resist changing the poem's direction.

Sorry.

I still think it was funny.

Not because of the rabbit.

The joke was on the reader.

So I suppose I should post something else, huh?

Well, unfortunately, I have not been physically working on any significant work of prose. I did write a new story. It's just over 1,500 words. Where Apprentice deals with the stages of falling in love, The Cost of a Friend deals with the consequences of not following the rules. I've asked a friend of mine to read it. I hope they are able. No guarantees.

This makes the second short story I've written in a short while. Perhaps that's what the Muses want me to do now. I've no inspiration to work on an actual novel. My novel ideas are still in my head and swirling there. It's best to let them cook. Every so often I lift the lid and stir, but those meals are far from ready to serve at this time.

Short stories, and poems, are like snacks and appetizers. I guess that's where I am now.

There's been another explosion of ideas in my head and they're all running around clammoring for attention. To promise anything on anything not completed is to lie to myself. The Muses have me running all over. In one area I'm completely out of control and need to pull back. Perhaps short stories (under 10,000 words) and poems are the way to go right now. I'm in an emotional time, and short pieces grant me the flexibility of shifting gears quickly.

I promise, not all of the poetry will be of the same ilk as Lawn Bunnies. But all the same, don't be surprised if Risa (Muse of Laughter) doesn't inspire other works.

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

Hi!

I didn't know what to say yesterday and I still don't know today. Not even what to post for your 100th post. Unless you want to do a photo shoot of your area...

Have a good day.

Bevie said...

Photo shoot? Hmm. Maybe. Not so pretty around here, but perhaps I could put something together.

That's okay. It's been a low-comment day for me, too. I visited 24 different blogs today and only left six comments. For Bevie-of-Many-Words that's almost like not even being there.

Appears it was low-comment for a lot of people. All four of my blogs were silent. It happens.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think