Sailors on the Sea

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sassy and Otio #2

Back in November I created two new characters to write about: Sassy and Otio. Their original installment took place on A Voice in the Wind. I've been thinking about them for more than a week and decided to give them another appearance, but here, instead of A Voice in the Wind. It's meant to be a "cute" approach to a sensitive topic. I don't mean to offend anyone with it, but if you are, let me know. My only goal is to have fun writing and hope others enjoy what is written.

Another in a series of short stories about Sassy Minx, an aspiring writer seeking the gateway to fame and fortune, and Otio Afflatus, an ever eager friend lending support.

Otio’s Secret Wish
by Bevie James


Sassy and Keely stopped talking as Otio shut the door and entered the room. He went to the overstuffed chair and plopped down, slumping deep with his arms resting on the arms. Sassy gave Keely a grin and then addressed Otio.

“Come in. Sit down. Make yourself at home.”

“Thanks. I will.”

“Would you care for something to drink? Water? Or perhaps something stronger?”

“Stronger would be better.”

“Keely, would you care to do the honors?”

“I will see to it right off.”

As Keely rushed off toward the kitchen Sassy returned her attention to her friend.
“So, why are you so cheerful?”

“I was just at the auditions.”

“I take it they didn’t go well?”

“No, they did not.”

“Did you get a part?” asked Keely, handing a glass to Otio.

Otio accepted the glass and took a big drink. He held the glass out and looked at it and then Keely. “Tea?”

“Stronger than water,” said Keely, retaking her place on the sofa.

Otio took another drink. “No. I did not get a part. Most of the parts went to women. They only had two minor roles for men.” He slumped deeper into the chair. “I wish I was a woman.”

Sassy and Keely exchanged giggles.

“That’s very interesting, Otio,” said Sassy. “Does your roommate know about this secret desire of yours? Or is it secret?”

“I’ve always wondered about him and Dureck,” said Keely.

Otio suddenly started paying attention. “What? No! Come on now. I didn’t mean it like that, and you know it.”

“Do we?” asked Sassy. “That may have been a Freudian slip.”

Keely held her hand to her neck as she considered Otio. “You know, Sassy, I can actually picture him in a slip.”

“And maybe a chiffon dress?”

The girls began laughing and Otio sat up. He set his glass on the coffee table before him. “Stop it,” he commanded. But the girls weren’t finished.

“Will you be moving into Dureck’s room, or will he share your bed?” asked Sassy.

Otio jumped to his feet. “Stop it! I’m not like that, and you know it.”

Sassy clasped her hands together on her lap. “But do you want to be. That’s the real question.”

“Gay? Well, if I can be a woman I might try it. But not as a man.”

Otio went to the kitchen and produced a can of lite beer from the refrigerator. He returned and plunked down in the chair again.

“So, you’re against being gay?” asked Keely.

“No. Didn’t I just say I would do it if I was a woman?”

“But that’s just because you get some sick, perverted, erotic thrill thinking about two woman going at it. That’s hardly being accepting, Otio,” said Keely.

“Well what about you? How accepting are you?”

“Cherise and Danelle are two of my best friends.”

“Cherise and Danelle are gay?”

“Of course! They’ve been a couple for almost a year now. How could you not know?”

Otio took a drink. He shrugged. “They don’t act like it.”

Keely rolled her eyes and glanced at Sassy. “What do you mean by ‘act like it’?”

Otio’s face turned pink. “Well, you know. They’re not exactly – demonstrative with each other.”

“Not every relationship is based on sex, Otio. Don’t you know that?”

“He ought to,” giggled Sassy. “None of his are. Unless there’s more going on with Dureck than he lets on.”

“No, there’s nothing going on with Dureck. I don’t want no guy boinking me.”

Keely laughed. “Then you have something in common with Sassy.”

Sassy slapped at her. “Stop it, you. So, Otio, did you just come over to talk about your sex life, or did you have another purpose?”

“I didn’t come here to talk about my sex life.”

“Pretty short conversation anyway,” said Keely.

“Oh, ha, ha, ha. I came over here to see if I could get some comfort for my disappointment.”

As if on cue, both women hurried to Otio and began lavishing him with phony kisses and caresses. Otio fought them off and they sat back on their heels.

“Hmm. When we started this I was just joking about him being gay. Now I’m not so sure,” said Sassy.

“Indeed,” said Keely. “You are far more responsive than him.”

Otio’s eyes perked up. “What are you talking about?”

The women exchanged glances again and returned to the sofa. This time they sat close.

“Whatever do you mean?” asked Keely.

Otio leaned forward. “What’s going on here?”

“Going on?” said Sassy. “Why nothing, Otio. Keely has just been staying with me while her apartment is being refurbished.”

“What do you mean?”

Keely waved her hand. “Just some repainting and new carpeting.”

“That’s not what I’m talking about, and you know it. You’re fooling with me, aren’t you. Playing with my mind?”

“Why would we play with you when we have each other?” asked Sassy.

Keely put her arm around Sassy and pulled her close so she could caress her face. “I’m thinking about giving up my apartment and moving in here. What do you say, Sassy?”

“I would like that, Keely. Would you?”

“I don’t believe you! You can’t fool me. If you want me to believe there is anything between you, you are going to have to show me.”

Keely sighed. “Should we let him stay the night, Sassy?”

Sassy considered and then shook her head. “No. I make it a point not to have sandwiches in bed. I don’t like the crumbs.”

Keely gave Otio a look. “It would be crummy, wouldn’t it?”

“I think so. Now maybe if he was a woman, I would change my mind.”

Keely looked at Otio and shook her head. “Sorry, Otio. It looks like you failed another audition.”

Otio grunted and got to his feet. “Funny. Very funny.”

He turned and left the house. The two women giggled and turned on the sofa to watch him get into his car and drive off. Then they sat back, resting their heads on their hands and elbows on the back rest.

“So, what do you think?” asked Keely.

“He doesn’t believe it, but his curiosity has been piqued.”

“So you think he’ll be coming back?”

“Definitely.”

“But probably not until after we’ve gone to bed. He still has the key?”

“Definitely.”

“Would you like me to sleep in your room tonight?”

Sassy smiled. “Definitely.”

No comments:

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think