Sailors on the Sea

Monday, January 19, 2009

Inspiration Comes From Friends

This has not been an exceptionally productive week for me. Regarding Swords of Fire, I've accomplished virtually nothing. Partly, I think that's because I keep saying what I'm going to do, instead of what I've actually done. So, I'm taking pressure off myself. My goal for the remainder of January is to accomplish nothing for Swords of Fire. If I feel like doing something, I will. If I don't I won't feel guilty.

It's interesting how different people require different motivation to write. Some people need the accountability of signing up for something, such as the November writing thing. I had never heard of it until I began blogging late last October. That doesn't work for me. Neither does the so many words each day/week/month. For some, this is perfect. It's just what they need to get the creative juices flowing: pressure and accountability.

Some use a similar tact. That is to announce what they are working on, and maintain progress reports on it. I was able to do this quite well with the editing process, but I find with the generation process, I get nothing done. I don't think about what I'm writing. I think about having to write.

Some treat writing like a job. They go to their work station and remain there for the duration of their shift. Maybe they write, maybe they don't. But they are at work.

None of that works for me, although I do spend an inordinate amount of time at my computer station. Which is probably why I am not published while so many of the writers who adhere to one or more of the aforementioned incentives are. My method, while effective, cannot be drawn upon at will. This is how it works for me.

Something happens. It could be anything. A song, incident, smell or memory touches my heart, thoughts, funny bone or even libido. I have something I want (need) to say. Maybe it's touching. Maybe it's profound. It could be hilarious. Or, it just might be naughty. [grin] Whatever it is, I need to get it out of myself and either onto paper, or into a computer.

But first - and this is most important - I talk to a close friend about what I intend. It has to be a close friend, too. Casual friends, co-workers, acquaintences are fine, but they won't put the flame to the fuel. The idea - the need - is the fuel. The conversation with someone special is the igniting match. The talk may last an hour or a minute. It just has to happen. Once it does - poof! I'm off and writing. I may, or may not, return to my friend and discuss the story as it moves along. In the case of Swords of Fire, which is epic in its scope, I had to several times to reignite the flame. In the case of Apprentice, which was only seven thousand words, the original flame let me write the story through. I did require a review when it was completed, but the actual writing was done in solitude.

Solitude is what I need to write. That's one of several reasons I am often awake in the wee hours of the morning. I'm alone with the muses. Sometimes, we have quite a party. I'm usually quite happy with what I write then.

Different people have played this role for me. For each of them I have been, and continue to be, more than grateful. A few times I have had more than one at a time. That is tremendous when that happens. The muses seem to take notice and stay extra long, making my writing extremely prolific, if not necessarily good reading.

It has been my practice to not reveal these people who are so very special to me, although it often isn't hard to guess who they are. Why the secrecy? I want to protect them from the ignominy of being known to be so important to me. It isn't exactly an honor. I suppose, too, the way I've put things it makes it sound kind of mercenary. But it isn't.

I wish I had the heart to explain it well. Now my writing skills fail me. I fear to say too little or too much. But know this: My Special People are not important to me because they help(ed) me write. They help(ed) me write because they are Special People. That has to come first.

So, I've been trying some of the tactics of other writers. Better writers. They don't work for me. Pity, I suppose. Meanwhile, I'm not forcasting. I'm just happy for important people in my life. I have Spouse and I have Son. I also have a Friend. Can life be any better than that? I doubt it.

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

Did you see the post by Jonathan Carroll on Timothy Hallinan's blog? He has his own way of approaching creativity that isn't about being accountable.

Bevie said...

Hmm. Are you trying to say I remind you of a wild animal? [grin] Sometimes I'm not sure if Writing is the wild animal visiting my house, or I'm the wild animal visiting Writing's house.

Actually, that's kind of what I was trying to say except, like a starting gun at a race, I look to a friend to get going. (Also, he said it much better. "Writing is like a friend." Yes!) But he's right: the muse show up when they do, bringing inspiration and creativity. And when they're not around they're not around.

I liked what one of the commentors said, too. They attributed it to Stephen King. "You get writer's block when you try to write better than you are." That's what happens to me. I run into it when I read someone else's writing and begin comparing myself to them.

That's not how I wrote Apprentice. It's not how I wrote my last Sassy and Otio. The original writing may not be great, but it is satisfying. And satisfying writing can be edited.

Thanks for the link. I've added him to my Blogs in Waiting folder. I'll make some trips there now on my own.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think