Sailors on the Sea

Monday, April 6, 2009

Writing a Sequel

So, I've begun work on Quest, which is the sequel to Apprentice. No actual writing has taken place, but I reread Apprentice and saved a new file to receive the second story.

Me thinks I may be falling into the right mood to write this sequel. We'll see.

Sometimes writing sequels can be hard. Sometimes they come easy. Writing the sequel to Swords of Fire: Traitor was not difficult, despite having to write a complete book. The reason was because, originally, Traitor and Prophecies of Madatar were actually one book. As I developed the story further and further I was forced to split it into two books. So Prophecies of Madatar wrote fairly quickly. I think it took me a month to get the first draft, and a year to edit it down to 190,000-words. Now, using the knowledge I have acquired since going on-line, I will probably need another month or two to finish it.

What is hard is writing the next book in the series: Bonds of Love. I know what has to happen, but I still have to write it. Got a fair way into it before leaving off last summer.

Write the sequel to Apprentice is different. Apprentice came to me quickly, and I think I had the rough draft written in a week. I gave it to a beta reader and made some changes. Then I presented it to a writers' group in February. But at that time the idea of a sequel was simply a nice thought, germinating in the hidden places of my heart and mind. So now I'm ready to move on it. Like Bonds of Love, I have to write from scratch. Fortunately, I only need write up to 7,000-words or there abouts. Since it is a sequel, it may actually take longer than the original. But look for me to be bragging about it some time in May.

Coming soon to a beta reader I know: Quest. Starring Kiahva and Amice.

4 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

Sounds like you are writing lots of stuff. It's good to be productive. I am not that productive. I love to write, but I resist getting started. Do you have that resistance, too, Bevie?

Beta Reader said...

I look forward to reading it. I couldn't bear for those two to be parted at the end of the last story.

Bevie said...

It's not so much a resistance to getting started as it is an uncertainty of where to start. Nearly all of my story ideas begin at the climax or ending, so I struggle in determining how far back in time to go in order to start.

Sequels have the opposite problem. They must begin after the story just completed, but where are they going to go?

Production has never been a problem for me. It's quality which I struggle with.

Bevie said...

Well, Beta Reader, take heart, for the writing began last evening. I'm not far, the journey has begun.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think