Sailors on the Sea

Monday, April 27, 2009

An Idea Takes on an Image

So I've laid out twenty (20) pages of The Freelancer. That's the name of the tabloid I'm dreaming of creating. I've included some sample pages to demonstrate my lack of ability in graphic design. What I need to do (and I forgot to do it today) is contact my old boss from the newspaper I worked at and ask him to come and modify the layout. He was a master as this kind of thing.

The Front Page would consist of a Main Story (in the middle), a Top Story and a Bottom Story. The Main Story would be 1,000-words. The Top Story would be 400-words and the Bottom Story 500-words. Page Two (2) would be the editorial page, which would include reader letters. The Second Story, 800-words, would begin on Page Three.

There would be some public service pages, such as church directory, city government, schools, and a recipe page. Each of these sections would give someone from the public a chance to write a column.

I also plan to include a Poetry Page. No, not my own. Hopefully, submissions from other authors. Of course, I would have to pay them, wouldn't I? Oh, and note the pictures in the example below. Some of them I stole from my computer and some I copied from my blogs. On these two pages they represent advertising space. (The curse of all publications.)

And there has to be sports. Since I live in a small town the sports coverage would be virtually all high school and related. But people love to see their kids in the paper. The school pages would provide space for other youth photographs. The baseball image, Hot Stuff, Casper, and the bottom Baby Huey are advertising space.

And there has to be an Author's Page (a Bevie's Corner). I've made room for fifty-two (52) ads.
In order to fill the publication with stories I shall need to expand and/or complete various short stories from my list. One of the first I shall expand are the Sassy and Otto stories. I've already posted one on A Voice in the Wind and one on this blog. Below is a collage of Sassy and her five friends. They have formed a kind of club, as is evidenced by their wearing the same neckwear.

Sassy is the writer, and the focus of the stories.
Keely Korts is her loyal friend
Alana Cole is the brainy one
Erin Cliff is silly and likes to have fun
Brittany Steel likes to dress expensively
Reaghan Connors has a bit of a chip on her shoulders

So there you have it. Some of my ideas. Whether I ever create The Freelancer or not, I'm going to continue with the Sassy and Otto stories. Just have to create an image of Otto now.

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

My word, Bevie. It's great that you're producing so much. It all looks fun.

Bevie said...

It is. Kind of. Therapeutic.

Hope you don't mind me using your Hero image as a placeholder.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think