Sailors on the Sea

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Home: Not Always Far Away

In honor of my new friends, of who I have been thinking since originally posting this, I have deleted this and replaced it with this. (Are you following?) I'll edit it in a bit.

For any few who have actually read what was originally posted, I apologize. But know this. You (and those who did not read it), helped me pick myself up a bit. Knowing you are there is making a difference in my life.

Thank you.

NEW POST

Stumblin' In, by Suzie Quatro. It's a happy song with a sad twist in that it relates back to a time when I was young. Young and unaware.

And of course I'm being interrupted. Please wait twenty minutes while this goes on.

A girl so young and a boy so dense
Two children of love who sat on a fence
The girl was pretty and the boy very strong
The love that they shared they knew it was wrong
Caught in the feelings they shared all they could
Passion and flames became their new food
He danced on her string and she played him a tune
But the love that they shared ended too soon

Miracles, by Jefferson Starship. A song of passion, desire, and reckless abandon. A memory of a moment gone by. Fear is the enemy which clouds the mind.

Back down in pillows and weight on my chest
Kisses so dear now you dream the rest
Arms holding bodies and hands touching faces
Kisses so fast we were off to the races
The touching of bellies the touching of skin
Enjoying it slowly and then do it again
My heart reaching out and cries from my mouth
You love me I know for now there's no doubt

Longer, by Dan Fogelberg. A love song of double meaning for me. It was the end of one love and the beginning of another. A love which has lived thirty years.

When I was young I was alone
I dreamed of love but none could be found
There were pretenders and users and those who would lie
They used me and hurt me and I thought I would die
But life does go on and lonely endures
It's chronic and fatal and knows no quick cures
The past is a mist and a fog and noisysome smell
When it's pain that's recalled then life has become hell

Stuck on You, by Lionel Ritchie. The past is like a troublesome friend. Sometimes its influence is one of poor choices and slow behavior. But it is a friend. The painful memories mingle with joy. Sometimes there's more hope in the past than the now. Sometimes. Like when we're tired. Like now.

A hole in the wall is a dark place to live
To hide darkly unseen with nothing to give
To watch others walk and to watch others fly
Is a pain of the future and wishing to die
To respond to a voice and dare to step out
And find there a friend makes a heart leap about
But the daylight is scary and fear makes me hide
And the fear is just this: that my joy has just died

Not so, says my friend, it is just a respite
The past's always with you and sometimes it will bite
It hurts and caresses and fills you with peace
It takes and gives strength and offers new lease
So live with your past and visit it often
Remember I'm here and the pain it will soften
Cry out with your pain and know I will hear
I'll tell you it's fine for I hold you so dear

A bit better than the original post, I think.

6 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I can't help being intrigued to know what the original post was. (I usually only delete when I've clicked 'publish' by mistake.)

Hope you have a good day today. Happy Easter!

Bevie said...

Hi Fairy. This will make the second (or maybe third) time I have done this: overwrite a post with someone different.

I've had this nasty, nasty cold and it's affecting my resistance to dark moods. But I didn't want to leave it dark. Especially when I was able to life myself up a bit.

Thank you. You have a Happy Easter, too.

fairyhedgehog said...

I'm glad you've lifted yourself up a bit.

Sending you happy thoughts.

Bevie said...

Thanks.

Whirlochre said...

I had a couple of deletes this week — and thank goodness they never made it through!

The most annoying thing about old songs is that some of the are so old I don't actuallly know what they are. I recall a weird reggae song from the eraly 70s. What I recall when I think of this is my Mum ironing in the lounge late at night and then the two of us sitting and eating cheese sandwiches — strong cheese grated really thin. Fortunately, there are now phone apps and websites where you can sing snippets of songs and find out what they are.

Sounds like you've stumbled on one of life's uneven clods this week — I've had something of that too. Bit like that old Chinese proverb of falling down seven times and getting up eight. Then eating noodles through your nostrils...

Bevie said...

"Sounds like you've stumbled on one of life's uneven clods this week"

Yeah. I think it's this blasted cold, which may finally be going away.

Phone apps don't do me any good. I don't have a cell phone. Just a big old-fashioned kind. No display! The hand receiver is three times the size of the average cell phone.

I try to find old songs by typing some lyrics into Google.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think