Sailors on the Sea

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Useless Ramblings From a Sick Mind

It looks like this is going to be a silent day. That's probably just as well as I'm not feeling all that well. Nasty pain in my chest every time I cough. Nasty. Still coughing up clear, though. (Now aren't you glad I told you that?)

Re-reading Traitor, and then I'm sending it off to a beta reader. But that's not all I'm going to do today. Planning on getting two important writing assignments (self-assigned) at least started.

First, I want to write Part 2 of my Hero Story for Legion of On-Line Super Heroes. The Gala begins on Friday and I'm planning on posting Part 1 then. There are eight official Authors now, and we're expecting it to be a lot of fun. How's that for a plug? Unpaid advertising, right here on my blog.

Second, and this one I do not expect to finish today, I want to write the sequel to Apprentice. I was hoping to begin it on Saturday, but the day just fell away from me. Today would be better, but I'm sick. (Been called that more than once.)

Sometimes I find myself wishing I could be like normal people. But then I get to talking with someone I think is normal and find out they're nothing like anyone else I know. In fact, I can't really think of any two "normal" people I know who are alike. So how can they be normal? I thought normal was the way most people were. If that's so, then I don't know any normal people. Which is fine with me. I like the people I know.

Probably, normal is another word for dull. I don't know any dull people, either. They are all very interesting and fascinating, although many of them don't think so. In that regard I guess we are alike. The thought is always there that some day people are going to realize we're just not that interesting. Except we are. Each in our own way.

How in the h*ll did I wind up on this tangent?

People have always scared me. Much as I can like individuals, and groups, I don't always know how to interact. Often, when I try to be silly I'm actually offensive. Not everyone enjoys my sense of humor. And not everyone understands that I'm trying to be funny. I find things to be funny that are not supposed to be funny. Not sure why. Not why I find them funny, and not why they're not supposed to be funny.

Got to be careful in humor. Especially in writing. But even face-to-face one can offend. I remember a long time ago moving from one apartment to another. Some friends were helping us. Spouse and I got a place (flat) on third floor and we had a regular conga line of people bringing up boxes and such from the truck. As I was walking down the stairs I chanced by one of our friends who was struggling to get my Raleigh 10-speed bicycle up the stairs. Seeing him in his distress I couldn't resist making a comment.

"Oh, that's right! Take something easy."

Now had I said that to probably any other of the friends helping that day I would have been treated to some sort of clever rebuttal. But not Gary. Instead, as I was making my way back up with a box who should I meet by Gary's wife, all angry and in a huff.

"I don't think bringing a bicycle up stairs is easy. And if that's the way you feel about it maybe we should just leave!"

I thought it was funny.

Well, I'm off to the treadmill. Got to walk five minutes three times today. It's only 600-steps (I know, because I'm wearing a pedometer), and by the end of the day I will have walked less than a mile, but it's better than spending the whole day on my b*tt before a computer screen.

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I hope that cough eases up soon. Are you taking parecetamol (tylenol) and breathing steam and all that good stuff?

Take care, Bevie, and don't overdo the exercise when you're ill.

Bevie said...

Thanks, Fairy.

Tylenol generally makes me ill, so I take a Bayer in the morning (for my heart) and Advil when I need something else.

You're right about the exercise. I've walked twice today, five minutes each time, and by the end I'm coughing up.

Drinking tea. That seems to have a soothing effect on my throat. This kind is specifically blended for throat care.

Gonna take a lay-down now. Catch you later.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think