Sailors on the Sea

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Quest is Nearly Over

What am I learning? Who knows? Hopefully, something useful.

Did pick up a couple of things at the writers' group meeting last night. For one thing, I learned that I don't "critique well". But as a very wise person told me: all opinions are just that and you can't say that anything "is" something, only how it seems to you.

So another thing I've learned is that I'm still sensitive and foolish. Criticize me and I'll probably take it to heart.

Learned that you can do a Search/Replace in MS-Word, leaving hi-lights to show all replacements. Didn't ask how to do that, which is a pity, because my experiments this morning have all gone for naught.

And I wrote this note to myself: more adjectives makes weaker.

I don't think I do that. Often. All the time. I mean, think about it. What a silly, stupid, unnatural thing to do. When would I ever do that?

Stepped back in Quest and wrote a new third scene. It's not finished yet, but it's going nice. If I do it right I won't have to add another scene later. I can leave the old third scene (which is now the fourth scene) in place and just add the final scene. That will give Quest five scenes. Apprentice had six. They'll be about the same size though. Apprentice may be a bit longer.

Wish I could find a place to send them for publishing consideration. The places I found for them so far don't take fiction, at least it doesn't seem like they do. Too much emphasis on politics and such, and not enough on pure entertainment. I understand that social issues are important. They affect people's lives every day. But can't we take time out for fun sometimes?

I think both Apprentice and Quest are dear little stories.

Quest's first draft could be finished very soon.

1 comment:

fairyhedgehog said...

I'm looking forward to reading it.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think