Sailors on the Sea

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Time to Close The Archives

Well, The Archives are being repacked. Five boxes are full now, and there looks to be enough material to fill anywhere from two to four more. Out of curiosity, I added a table to my SOF-Archive Database to contain a list of all of the books, short stories, plays, and poems I have written/plan(ned) to write. Sure I've missed some, but the table holds 128 items right now, of which 41 are actually written - at least in rough draft format.

A few more loathsome statistics.

Type of writing:
. 65 Books
. 35 Short Stories
. 8 Plays
. 17 Poems
. 3 Comic Strips

Genre
. 17 Fantasy
. 17 Poems (no genre)
. 5 Western (including comedic)
. 4 Science Fiction
. 7 Contemporay (close to modern day)
. 6 Children's
. 15 Comedy (all genres)
. 3 YA
. 10 Real Life (fact-based biographical)
. 1 Sports Related

Year Inspired
. 95 Undetermined at this time
. 1 1971 (Eric and Paulette)
. 1 1974 (Swords of Fire)
. 1 1976 (The Monsters)
. 2 1983 (both westerns)
. 2 1984 (western and contemporary)
. 7 1985
. 3 1986
. 11 1987
. 4 1988
. 1 2009 (Apprentice)

I know I haven't included everything, because there are three more short stories new to this year, as well as several poems. Very little of the poetry is included right now.

Series
. 38 Swords of Fire
. 1 Decca the Brave (52 cartoons, but only one listed)
. 1 Furthering Adventures of Eric and Paulette
. 1 Case Histories of Detective LaManch
. 1 Heroes Ride Draft Horses
. 1 Seven Helmets of Shirdu
. 1 Defender of the Crown
. 1 Spargeld the Magificent
. 3 The Power
. 1 Kiahva (I am planning on writing sequels to Apprentice)
. 3 Denton and Tubby
. 1 Hot Shot Reporter
. 1 Animal Kingdom
. 1 Legions of Encarrah
. 1 Baby Talk
. 10 Dr. J and Dr. D (all of these are written)
. 1 Pet Rock (doezen of titles - all comic strip)
. 1 The Great Sports Central
. 1 The Life of Miles

So, there you have it. A horrifying glimpse into the creative thinking process of Bevie James. Some of those "unwritten" stories have actually been told. This includes the opening books in the two series: Heroes Ride Draft Horses and Spargeld the Magnificent. Unfortunately, most of the oral tales have been forgotten over the years and will require new creativity to replace.

Since I will be out of town a few days this coming week I will take another full week off before returning to Traitor. I will read it again, making changes as required, and then get back to finishing the query letter.

In the meantime, I purchased several new moving boxes and will be completing the repacking of The Archives. It's been an interesting walk down Memory Lane.

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

Have you actually written 65 books? Or is it that you've planned that many?

Either way, you are amazingly prolific.

Bevie said...

I have planned 65 books. I've only actually finished three, if by "finished" you mean written. I narrated about a dozen books between 1983 and 1989.

My finished (found) written works total 41: three books, 21 short stories, and 17 poems.

Actually, my finished total is higher, but several short stories seem to be lost, as well as a host of poetry. Back in the 70s I used to toss things when I was finished, so a host of material may be gone forever.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think