Sailors on the Sea

Friday, March 13, 2009

Had My Bonnie Ancestor Only Known How to Fight

I'm supposed to talk about other works of fantasy, but I don't have anything active right now. Even Traitor is finished. So, with no work in progress at the moment, I shall digress to family life.

Yeah, I know that belongs on A Voice in the Wind, but my life is kind of active right now and I don't really want to make five posts a day over there. Don't get too distressed, though. I can't not write for too long. At the least I will begin working on military assignments. Just think about it: 6,754 characters assigned to military duty. I could post about them one at a time. I would have something to write about for years!

Don't worry. While I will have to go through them all one at a time, I will not bore you with it. I don't like comparing myself with J.R.R.Tolkien (it's like an Edsel comparing itself to a Lamborghini), but he wrote something in his foreword I can now totally relate to regarding the interest of others in background story.

... I had little hope that other people would be interested in this work ... When those whose advice and opinion I souight corrected little hope to no hope, I went back to the sequel ...

I would have been interested. Very interested. In fact, when I began my senior year in high school I was planning on saving up money and traveling to England in hopes of perhaps meeting him. Then, right after school began, he died.

Hmm. I was going to digress to family life, and here I am talking about a famous author of fantasy. I did meet Clyde Kirby, who was a friend of Tolkien's and C.S.Lewis, at Bethel College, St. Paul, MN. That was back in 1976. I mentioned to him that I had hoped to meet J.R.R.Tolkien, but he assured me that would not likely have happened even had he not died. Should have saved my money and gone anyway. Always wanted to visit England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. I have ancestry in that region. No, really.

Back in the 1600s, some of my ancestors were Jacobites. These were people who wanted to put the Stuarts back on the throne of England. We're not sure, but we suspect we may actually be related to Bonnie Prince Charlie, who tried to take the throne by force. He (and my relatations) were soundly defeated by the English. The Bonnie Prince fled, disguised as a woman, and my relations were kicked out of the county. Hmm. A familiar theme. I'm being kicked out of my house. Only I didn't support G.W., and I'm not related to him. So why is this happening? What? Oh, Never mind.

Anyway. I've rambled a bit. I have so much more to ramble on about, but the microwave just told me my Minestrone is hot. Now it's time to watch a rerun of The Wild, Wild West with Son, who is home sick today. Which means it takes me three times as long to write anything. I've lost track of how many times he's interrupted me just during this post.

Oh, well. Lunch time.

Enjoy the day everyone.

No comments:

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think