Sailors on the Sea

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Preparing to Submit a Work Finished

Work sent out for review? It's been a while since I've had anything. The last was Apprentice. It survived a review of writers at my writers' group meeting back in February. But now Traitor is finished. (Poor choice of word. Let's say, "completed".)

I have a query letter to write. This is kind of like preparing to go to the dentist. I would give most anything for anyone to do it for me. I dread the prospect of killing my story by writing a lousy query.

Of course I have Evil Editor and the Minions to turn to, but they can only tell me what works and what doesn't. The actually assembling of words into a coherent money-making proposal to an agent will be left up to me. Supposedly, only I can write the query to my story. Not so sure I believe that. I don't want to believe it because what I desperately want is for someone else to write a brilliant query for Traitor which is going to make absolutely every agent on the planet drool with desire to get their hands on it.

The only droolers I know are my niece's new baby and great-great-Uncle Harold, who still thinks it's 1922.

I'm just scared. So what's new? You'd think I could take comfort in the familarity of my fears. Some things never change. Not really. Except Uncle Harold. Last year he thought it was 1918. He's getting better, so why can't I?

1 comment:

fairyhedgehog said...

At least you're in good company. As far as I can gather no one likes writing query letters.

Good luck with it.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think