Sailors on the Sea

Monday, March 2, 2009

Progress Report

Well, I completed Chapter Twelve this morning. I had hoped to get through two chapters, but that just didn't happen. Chapter Twelve was so very long it took more than two hours to get through. By then I was sleepy and returned to bed.

I'm glad to have finished the chapter, but I was disappointed I wasn't able to reduce its size better. It's still over 8,000-words. That's more than the entire Apprentice story. It lifted me up to about 4,200-words over budget. I have four chapters which have contributed to this heft. This chapter wasn't the largest of the four. Neither was it the smallest.

If all continues at the current pace I shall be finished some time this month. I'm not making any promises, even to myself, but it is possible I could be done by the end of next week. Do not hold your breath (or you'll turn blue and pass out).

The next chapter should be interesting. It was always one of the smaller chapters. Then I moved a critical scene forward (creating a new chapter in the process). It is possible that the original Chapter Thirteen will simply merge with Chapter Fourteen and I will be back on track with my chapters. (I've had to rename them up by one since creating the new chapter.)

In any case, the story is moving along. Khirsha is having to deal with the consequences of agreeing to be "visited" by Avalina. It is costing him Sayla. His problem is like every young person's problem: he likes them both and would like to have both visit him. They see it differently. For one thing, the two girls don't even like each other. Meanwhile, the evidence continues to trickle in as to the Traitor's identity. If Khirhsa doesn't put the pieces together soon he is going to find more than his grandfather's position as Head-of-Family is at risk. Khirhsa's life could be on the line.

I like Khirsha. He's got a lot going for him. But sometimes he can be as dense as - well, me. Not that I mind. I just wish I had his physical talent. Or even Sayla's. She's an excellent hunter. Unfortunately, right now she's hunting the wrong game. If you know what I mean.

2 comments:

jaz said...

Bevie, I am glad to hear that you are being so productive with everything you have going on! You should feel great about that. I'm also glad to hear that your mom is doing well (better than expected it sounds like?).

Your comments in the post below have me worried, though. You are under so much stress. An insane amount. I hope you do keep trying to make time to walk, even if it is just a short period (or two even shorter periods broken up into two workouts). I always feel better about everything if I have exercised. And this is really none of my business but with the leg/feet issues, you have me worried about diabetes. If sugar is an issue, I am going to put in a big plug for lentils here. I can send you a super easy recipe if you want it, but they are one of the best foods for blood sugar issues and are just so healing. And so cheap.

And of course, as always, you can tell me to myob (mind my own business, not on my blog ;) ). In any case, take care of yourself!

Bevie said...

Thanks, Jennifer.

For the most part, I think Mother is doing better than expected. She hasn't walked as much as she should, though. That should change as she is healing up. Also, my brother is back in town. He is her favorite and he can get her to walk.

Writing is my current getaway, I suppose. But I usually write more in late winter and spring.

I have been thinking about walking twice for ten minutes rather than once for sixteen. That way, I won't be so wiped out. But I keep forgetting.

Regarding diabetes, I am mostly convinced I do have it now. Didn't four years ago, which was the last time I could afford to be tested. I haven't gone in because I can't afford to pay for it. And even if I could, I can't afford the medications. Diabetes is very expensive. I've checked.

Getting state help has become a cruel joke. People earning more than Spouse and I get state help for all kinds of things, including medical. But every time we apply we are told we don't qualify. Make too much money.

The last time we were told we couldn't make more than $500 per month. Do you realize that's only $6,000 per year? Spouse earns more than that working part-time in retail.

I've come to the conclusion that either other people flat out lie on their applications, or God flat out doesn't want us to get government help. Neither prospect is especially encouraging, although it being God is more so. At least he knows what he's doing.

But I will not lie. Not even to stay alive.

I will not tell you to mind your own business. You do not visit to attack me. That means you, and anything you say, are welcome.

I've started a new blog. Kind of risky, I suppose. But I think it's what I need to do. The link's at the top of this blog.

Have a great day, Jennifer.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think