Sailors on the Sea

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I've So Much To Say

Don't worry. I'm not going to say it all. Won't even come close. It's getting late in the day and I have to prepare supper for Son and myself. No idea at this time what it will be. Only know it won't taste very good. I don't think we have much good stuff to eat right now. Probably hot dogs, pork and beans, and potato chips. Yum.

I'm a mass of conflicting emotions. They released my mother from the hospital today. I'd like to say that it's wonderful her doctors believe she is ready to go home. Unfortunately, it wasn't her doctors who decided she was ready to go home. It was her insurance company. Those people decided that a woman who has eaten two real meals in a row for the first time in a week, and who only needs two people to help her stand out of her wheel chair, is completely ready to go back to her tiny apartment and live by herself. No more hospital. No short term care. Nothing.

No more of that. I touched on my hatred of insurance companies on A Voice in the Wind.

I've only managed to complete one more chapter. It was a short one. Short enough to lower me down to just 600-words over budget with six chapters to go.

Got a bin of pictures and stuff from my aunt today. She thought there might be pictures of my siblings and my old house in there some place. I spent a couple of hours going through it and found no pictures of my old house. There weren't any of myself or my younger sister, Helvie. There were a few of my older siblings. Mostly, it was pictures of my aunts and uncles on my mother's side, and grandparents and great-grandparents. There were also some legal documents, such as birth certificates, wedding certificates (found one for my great-grandfather and mother from 1897), and even some military things (which includes an Award for Victory Medal issued to my grandmother's second husband in 1934 - for his participation in World War I). There were some letters, too. Some written in what I believe to be Danish. (My grandmother traces her lineage back to the King of Denmark - like so many others. [grin])

I also discovered about a half dozen or more handwritten poems. These are not signed, so I cannot be sure who authored them. However, my grandmother was a writer, and virtually all of the items in the bin once belonged to her, so I am guessing I have stumbled upon some of her writing. The papers are mostly yellowed, which would indicate an age near my own. The handwriting is difficult to read at times, and there are many corrections. When I get them sorted better I'll post some. Maybe all.

Most of the pictures are unidentified, or taken from such a distance as to make identification impossible even with a name. People just do not know how to take a photograph. But there are a few cute ones from when my grandmother was young. My sister, Lynahr, looked a lot like Grandma when Grandma was young. My understanding is that Grandma was far more "wild" then my sister, although not completely "naughty".

Several pictures of men driving covered wagons and/or buggies. Kind of fascinating. Once my mother really has recovered I plan to either bring her to my house, or bring the pictures to her house. Perhaps we can identify some of the people.

All of those pictures. Each one has a story. Most of the people in them are gone now. Just my mother, her sister, and her brother. Oh, and a cousin.

Heck of a day, huh?

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

It sounds like a really emotional time, Bevie.

Bevie said...

Yeah, much more than is normal for me. And it isn't just me. When the geniuses who were running the world's financial concerns decided to cheat and be stupid they set us all up for difficult times.

I tend to speak out louder, and more frequently, than most people, but I cannot think of a single person I know who has not been significantly affected by what is going on. There are people ahead of me on this slide downward who wish they could return to my set of problems.

That doesn't make me feel better, but it helps me keep things in perspective. I'm not suffering the worst. (Not yet anyway. [grin])

Thanks for your posts. Contact with others is always uplifting. Well, it has been. Nobody here has been putting me down or anything. (Not yet anyway. [grin])

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think