Sailors on the Sea

Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Non-Writing Day

Today I got nothing done regarding my writing. That's okay, I guess. February was mostly productive and I'm only six or seven chapters away from finishing. This week was busy and I feel lucky to have completed two chapters and an interlude (these are roughly 1,000-word asides in which the reader gets a chance to learn what the antagonist is up to).

Today I brought my brother to the airport. To do that, I had to meet him at my niece's house. My brother was borrowing my sister's car and living in her townhouse, but my sister needs her car to be at her daughter's. My niece took her mother on an ocean cruise this week. The original plan was to go to Paris, France, but then the economy went into the toilet and a cruise became much more affordable.

Anyway, it's about forty miles to my niece's house. Then it was sixty miles to the airport. Then it was fifty miles to get home. I don't mind driving, but country driving. City driving s*cks. Especially when I'm driving in areas I do not know, such as the airport.

Got another view of Fort Snelling, and the National Cemetary. I've lived in Minnesota for more than fifty years and have never visited either. Maybe I should take Spouse and Son and do that this summer. If we really are bailing on the state it will be our last chance.

Got caught up on my blog visits. I only did cursory visits Monday and Tuesday, and none at all on Wednesday. Missed some really cool stuff.

I had planned on visiting my mother on the way home from the airport, but after my brother got us lost in St. Paul I felt kind of stressed. He had visited her earlier in the morning and said she was actually doing quite well. And her neighbors were taking care of her very nicely. She was up and about and not complaining of pain. So, feeling reassured (and stressed), I drove home. I was hungry and tired. When I got home I discovered there really wasn't anything good to eat for lunch. I found a freezer meal of some broccoli and shrimp stuff in a container not unlike those used by Chinese restaurants. Bland. So I made a couple of sandwiches and lay down with Firestar to watch a movie. Fell asleep.

I expect the non-writing will continue into tomorrow. My only hope is to wake at my regular time of 4:00 a.m. and get a chapter completed before Spouse and Son wake. Spouse generally works late on Fridays, so I will not have any time to write during the day. Been getting comments about the housework I haven't completed. Wish the d*mn thing would clean itself.

My computer is as fixed as it will be, I think. One of the big CPU users turns out to be the security software itself. Oh, well.

I guess I'm done rambling. Have a good day/night/morning/afternoon. Whatever it happens to be where you are. That's a cool thing about blogging. For some of you it's the middle of the night right now. Sweet dreams.

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I know how much you miss writing when you don't get the time for it.

Is your computer's "security system" the same as an antivirus, or is it a firewall? I can't believe that you should have to settle for such poor performance.

Glad your mother's doing better.

Bevie said...

My telephone company provides it. It was cheaper than getting something else. Also, I'm thinking the internet connection itself is slow, regardless of security. My internet performance has been slow from the start. It's just become worse since the end of January.

Thank you for thinking of my mother. I spoke with her last night. She is doing well enough to return to her manipulation. That's a good sign (and an unfortunate one at the same time). She has lots of food and is able to get up and prepare it. We're planning on visiting her on Sunday.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think