Sailors on the Sea

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Shaden's World

I've been searching my archives the past few weeks. I don't know. I think all the time I spend at the Evil Editor blog (and the blogs of his Minions) has actually got me excited about writing. Or maybe its just that this year the holiday season has me feeling nostalgic about writing. Anyway, I came across another of my unfinished stories. I like this one and I'm sorry I never finished it. I thought I had written more, but I guess not. Most of my stories never get out of my head. I once wrote down the titles of every story I wanted to write. There were more than 120 of them. I've since lost the list (it may be in the archives some place) and I doubt if I could remember more than few dozen anymore.

This story, Shaden's World, may be as old as twenty-five years. I can't remember. It has nothing to do with The Great Sea. I include it here because it is pure fantasy. The original writing was horrible. I edited it, but the writing was so poor that even the edited version needs work. But that's usual with my writing even today. First drafts completely suck. First edits only provide minor improvement. It usually takes five or six goes before I'm happy. Anyway, here is a portion of Shaden's World. It's roughly 1,500 words. I hope you like it.

SHADEN'S WORLD

Maeschel stopped, frozen in mid step. A female. Most surprising. All thoughts of the hunt vanished as he considered this new turn of events.

She was presenting a provocative pose, engaged in casual primping, as though she were unaware of him. But Maeschel didn’t allow himself to be deceived. She was aware of him. The flicker of her eyes revealed he was the center of her focus. And what eyes! They were white raindrops encircling golden jewels, placed on a shiny black sea.

Maeschel had never been so close to a female. They avoided males – until ready to take a mate. Yet even then they were cautions. There were males and there were males. Obviously, he was up for consideration.

His primal instincts urged him to rush forward and take her, but he fought those down. He knew he did not have her quickness and speed. She would be gone before he left his place. He managed to keep his muscles quiet, but his chest rumbled on its own. The sound allowed her to pretend to notice him for the first time.

She ceased her primping and faced him. Her eyes were tantalizing. Maeschel remained transfixed. The play was hers, but ultimately he would have to catch her.

“Such noise! Can you not be a little more quiet? You are scaring the game."

Maeschel allowed himself a shrewd smile. “You are hunting then? Or are you afraid?"

He used the opportunity to speak to shift his position, inching toward her by only a step. His attempt at distraction did not go unnoticed. Her eyes took in the distance between them. Apparently satisfied, she returned his smile.

“Perhaps."

“I am on hunt myself,” he said, casually taking another step. “I trail a stag. Or are you suggesting there is other game to pursue?"

“There is always game nearby – if one is clever enough to catch it. But I do not hunt the low things. I need something with more – body."

“Indeed?” He took another step. He had to be careful. She was beginning to tense. “Where is your mate?"

“I have no mate,” she said, getting to her feet. Maeschel cursed himself. He had been too aggressive. Or was it something else? Now that she was standing he could see her gauntness. She had not been eating well. Such was the gloom of these dark days. She did not fear him so much as she feared her loss of quickness due to hunger. Well, that was the usual reason females gave up the single life. Mated pairs stood a better chance of survival then loners.

“No mate? Perhaps you are interested in sharing a hunt?” he asked.

“You are suggesting I hunt with you?"

“You might consider it."

“Considered long before accepting. To hunt together we must be mated. That cannot be undone. I am not sure I cared to be joined. Not to you anyway."

"Because I am noisy?"

"What good is it to be joined to a hunter who scares away game?"

"So you say. Yet if I may be so bold, I would say I have been eating better than you of late, as I suspect you already know. I trail a stag right now."

"Hmph!" she revealed both disdain and interest. "This trail is old by a day. Even I do not have the speed to catch this one."

" Half a day," he said with a smile. "And catching it is not a matter of speed. Come with me and I will show you. You shall not want for food again. Has it been long since you've eaten?"

"Perhaps not as long as you believe," she said, though it was clear she was interested. "And it is easy to boast."

"It is. But I do not boast lightly. I have no doubt you are a fine huntress. I am a fine hunter. Together we would be insurmountable."

"I know my skills," she said, taking on her coy manner. "I may be more insurmountable than you expect. But we shall see. Show me your skills, Furry Face. Catch me – if you can."

She sprang lightly from her place and started away. Maeschel immediately took up the chase. There would be plenty of time to hunt the stag. Right now he had quarry which surpassed his wildest dreams. But first he must catch her.

He did not run all out. Maeschel knew better than that. She was only keeping her distance, toying with him, trying to gauge his speed. By maintaining a steady pace he would never reveal it: until the end. This early in the chase he had no hope of catching her, and if he tried she would only bolt away forever. He had to keep her fears at a minimum, while keeping her interest high. This was as much a test of his character as his strength. If he could keep her interested past the point of her endurance she would be his.

The chase continued through the day and into the night. She would take large leads and then rest while he closed the distance between them. At times she allowed him to get dangerously close before springing away. Maeschel forced himself to keep his pace. He could not allow her taunting to disrupt his plan. If it did, he would lose her.

In the deepness of the night things began to turn his way. She was beginning to tire. It had been a long time since she had eaten. Now he was not allowed to get close, but she was resting more and more often. It was tempting to make a mad rush for her now, but he knew she was still capable of leaving the game – and him – forever. But he did increase his pace, ever so slightly.

As the sun broke over the peaks of distant hills he made his final push. They were not far apart and she had not rested for some time. Sensing his burst of speed she tried to run away, but she had waited too long. He was gaining on her.

She chose her place of surrender near some rocks. There she waited. Maeschel arrived and stood over her. The moment was his.

The young female looked up at him. The decision to bring the game to this conclusion had been hers, but still she was afraid. Maeschel thought he understood. It is a terribly fearful thing to be helpless, and she was. She had no strength to resist him. Whatever he wanted was his to take.

"Go ahead," she panted. "What are you waiting for?"

Maeschel considered the prize of his endurance. She was beautiful. She was desirable. He had never been so close to a female before and his passions cried for release. Whatever he wanted. It was intoxicating. But there was something about her which stirred more than physical desire. He seemed to sense that this female just might be able to fill a void in his heart. She had taken a fearful chance with him. He would return the favor.

"I will wait until you are rested," he said.

"When I am rested, the decision will not be yours to make," she said.

"I will abide by your will."

She looked him in the eyes. "Why do you do this? Do I mean so little to you? Have you no passion?"

The energy of his desire exploded from him and his roar echoed across the glade. For a brief moment he was as his ancestors had been, mindless, powerful, and victim to instinct and desire. The female quaked under the umbrella of his power.

"Passion?" he roared. "My lady, there exists no greater passion or desire than what I bear toward you. But I will not mar what may be beautiful with one senseless act of dominance. I do not wish to dominate you. I wish to hunt with you. I wish to be a pleasant thought in your mind. I wish to share my life with you, for I am lonely. I ask you to accept me as your mate. But if you find fault I shall not contest with you. You may leave in peace, though I shall never again know peace. It is not I who have captured you, fair lady. Rather, it is you who have captured me."

"Thank you for being what I hoped. The tales of bondage from my youth have made me cautious. Studying you from afar I could not decide. I hoped you worth the risk. I am glad you are."

"Thank you for daring to trust me," he said.

"I am weary," she gently purred. "Allow me my rest and watch over me as I sleep. When I awaken, I will be your mate."

"Lay yourself down and be comforted, my lady. I will stand guard. My gratitude is beyond measure. My love shall be everlasting."

He climbed to the top of the rock pile to sit watch. Another male arriving was remote, but it was possible, and in her weakened state she would not be able to flee. He realized something and looked down on her black form curled under a small overhang.

"My name is Maeschel."

She did not open her eyes, but her mouth broke into a gentle smile.

"Niedel," she said.

No comments:

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think