Sailors on the Sea

Friday, December 26, 2008

The Enchanters

Have you ever started a story, put it aside for a few years, come back to it and wondered, "What the hell is this about?" That's the case of this story: The Enchanters.

According to the timestamp the last time I wrote anything was back in '91. And considering there are less than 1,000 words it is quite likely that is the only time I wrote anything. Here is the opening sentence:

In the twelfth moon of the seventh year of the Age of Enlightenment, Zibrokage, the evil sorcerer of the Maskon Hills of Darkness, was vanquished by the combined might of his enemies.

Okay. What do I know from this?

1. Time appears to be measured in 'moons'. This is consistent with a lot of my ideas.
2. Blocks of years are given names.
3. There was/is an evil sorcerer named Zibrokage who lived/ruled in a place called Maskon Hills of Darkness.
4. Zibrokage had enemies who joined together to defeat him.
5. Zibrokage is said to have been 'vanquished', not 'killed'.

The second paragraph goes on to explain just how Zibrokage's enemies were able to defeat him. I am going to paraphrase because the writing is too embarassing to reveal.

1. They combined their powers and encircled Zibrokage with an array of magic which drew him into himself until he took on the form of a bright jewel. (sounds like a genie in a bottle)
2. They were victorious, but unable to completely destroy Zibrokage. (of course not)
3. The jewel contained life, but was not alive, and so could not be killed. (oh, isn't this great stuff)
4. It had form, but had ultimately become formless, and so could not be undone. (better and better - I think I'm beginning to see why this was abandoned)
5. Evil was contained. (right)
6. To protect the world from resurgence, the vanquishers hid the jewel in the Maskon Hills of Darkness where it could no longer feed upon the power of the sun. (and of course no one is going to go there and find it, are they)

The third paragraph seems to conclude some kind of prologue.

After the departure of Zibrokage, the powers formed a Council of Unity to watch and protect the world. They gathered those servants of Zibrokage who refused to yield to the new order and dissolved their strength, casting them to the winds. And the world knew peace. But that was long ago.

Apparently, we now have enough to go on. Added to what we already knew, this is what we have been told.

6. Zibrokage's enemies have formed a Council of Unity.
7. The Council of Unity's purpose is apparently to act as warders, or guards.
8. Zibrokage's allies have been captured and 'dissolved' - cast to the winds. This sounds like dying to me.
9. "But that was long ago." The implication is that things are about to change - for the worst.

As the actual story begins we are introduced to three characters: Jubal-Kai, who appears to be the Main Character (MC), or at least the Point of View (POV); Adon-Loy, who may be the Sidekick; and Cheska-Di, an incredibly old character who appears to be near the end of his years.

We also learn that we are in a new age: the fifth moon of the second year of the Age of Expansion. The sense is that a great deal of time has passed, but it is not explicitly stated. For all I know each 'age' only lasted seven years. The text doesn't say and I don't remember.

Cheska-Di belongs to the Council of Unity. Jubal-Kai and Adon-Loy are said to be 'new to the Council', suggesting they are novices. The text speaks of the Council's Hierarchy of Decision and how Jubal-Kai has the potential to one day belong to it - after he has 'developed his natural power and acquired others'. Adon-Loy is said to not have this potential.

We learn something new about time measurement. When Cheska-Di asked Jubal-Kai how long he has been with them (Council of Unity), Jubal-Kai answers, "The moon has come and gone eighteen times, and the sun of the east has appeared twice." Adon-Loy responds to the same question with, "I have seen the two suns of the east, but the moons have been fewer."

So, not only does the moon appear nine times for each appearance of the sun, but the sun's coming and going does not appear be measured in a few hours. Except I forget the qualifier: "of the east". There may be more than one sun. One may govern day and night, allowing plants and animals to function within what we consider normal parameters. A second sun (and maybe there are more) may rise and set at a much slower pace. It would need to be far enough way to not significantly interfere with the natural order of flora and fauna.

The last thing the written text provides is a vague rundown of the kind of beings these Enchanters were. It is done through a brief description of Cheska-Di.

It was hard for Jubal not to tremble, for he paled in both power and stature to Cheska-Di. Cheska-Di was a massive thing in the form of a man. At one time he had been a man, probably not much bigger than Jubal-Kai was now. But the accumulation of power and knowledge grew within him until his form was stretched. His skin, once dark like Jubal's, was now white beyond imagination. This was the truest sign that Cheska-Di's time was fast coming to an end. His body was stretched beyond its limit. Soon he would take the long walk to the fortress heights and cast himself to the winds. This would disperse his power and knowledge over the world, and it would settle upon many and begin the process over again.

Some new concepts. Physical size is affected by both strength and knowledge, suggesting both are physical. At some point in the learning process, Enchanters ceased to be human. Death can be accomplished voluntarilly by somehow 'casting oneself to the winds'. (Remember that this was how Zibrokage's followers died - albeit not voluntarily.) Knowledge and power remain after an Enchanter dies. It will fall randomly. Apparently, this is one way for Jubal-Kai to acquire other power.

That is all there is. Unlike reviewing other things I began and abandoned, this did not spark much in my memory, reinforcing my belief that this was one of those One Day visions I had. Cheska-Di will probably die sometime within the story - just when Jubal-Kai really needs him. That Zikbrokage will be released from his prison seems certain. How it was to be contrived, I do not know. The most likely scenario is that some new Enchanter has become greedy for power. It may even be Adon-Loy or Jubal-Kai. My memory is blank on this, although I don't think it would be Jubal-Kai. My guess is that I never got to the new 'evil' character. I think Jubal-Kai and Adon-Loy are the heroes. This is because of something I just realized I forgot to include in this post: their specific powers.

"You, Jubal-Kai, what is your power?"

Jubal spoke proudly. "I have the power to contain power. I can close upon any power and render it useless."

"And to what extent does your power work?"

"I can only contain one power at a time. My power fades with my strength."

Cheska-Di nodded his head. Jubal had not told him anything he did not already know. In fact, Cheska-Di knew far more about Jubal's power than Jubal did himself.

"You, Adan-Loy, what is your power?"

"I have the power to dissolve power. I can render a single formidable power into lesser pieces."

"And to what extent does your power work?"

"The power must be contained

The text finishes mid-sentence in Adon-Loy's reply. But considering the two powers' complimentary nature, I am guessing it was my plan that they work in unison to defeat Zikbrokage, or whoever the Antagonist turned out to be.

Some interesting concepts, more about world building than actual story content. It's clear I got bored early. The Muse wasn't interested in helping on this one. I have hundreds of these. Some are no more than a title. Others got a page or two, and a couple almost developed. They are like the seeds cast in Jesus' parable. Titles are germs on the rocky path. Things like this are in shallow, sandy soil. I guess that's why I like The Great Sea and Swords of Fire so much. That was a seed which fell on the 'good soil'. Now I must tend the field and hope for a bountiful crop.

Have a good day.

No comments:

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think