Sailors on the Sea

Monday, December 22, 2008

Progress Report

I reached my goal of reducing through Chapter Sixteen. I'm actually into Chapter Seventeen. However, the amount of actual words dropped is pretty scant. True, I am into the smallest chapters in the entire book, but I was hoping for more. At one time the forcast was for over 50,000 words dropped by the end. The new forcast is around 45,000.

Another thing I can hardly boast about is the time I've spent dropping words. For a while, I was spending several hours each day. This past week I was down to about an hour. I've spent more time writing my blogs - and visiting others' blogs.

It's like this when I write, too. As I near the end I slow down, as if the ending were something to dread instead of looking forward to. This time that is certainly true. When I finish reducing this thing to whatever I do I have a new daunting task set before me: Rewrite it. I don't look forward to that. I'm not even sure I'm qualified. Oh, I can tell the story. Ain't nobody more qualified to do that than me. But this rewrite isn't about telling the story. It's about presenting the story in a manner acceptable to agents and editors. I've never succeeded in doing that. Ever.





Well, that's another task. Another day. What did Jesus say?

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Matthew 6:34 NKJV

This week's goal is to finish. Press on, Bevie. Press on.

No comments:

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think