Sailors on the Sea

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I Just Broke My Arm Patting Myself on the Back

This entry has nothing to do with The Great Sea. I just wanted to revel in my good fortune this week. On Monday, I made a post on my other blog, A Voice in the Wind, that I got an honorable mention for a Cartoon Caption, and my Guess the Plot was listed with four others as an alternative to the real plot.

Now, today, I find that my story continuation was chosen, too. Cool.

Yes, I know what you're thinking. Everyone gets an honorable mention for Cartoon Caption submissions, and there probably weren't any Guess the Plot submissions to choose other than the five picked, meaning Evil Editor pretty much had to pick mine. Same with the story continuation. Well, to that kind of thinking I have but one thing to say: Stop raining on my parade, Ducky. Even a blind pig finds an ear of corn now and then.

Hmm. Maybe I should change my blog picture to an old sow with cat's whiskers and ears and call myself PorkBelliedPanther. What do you think?

4 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

If there aren't enough good continuations or Guess The Plots, Evil Editor waits until there are. He doesn't use duff ones.

So I'm patting you on the back too. Well done!

Bevie said...

Thanks.

I suppose it's silly to get all happy about something that's silly. After all, it's not like I got any money. And I don't think having 300 words published on Evil Editor's blog counts as writing credentials.

But I am happy about it. This kind of recognition makes me think I am actually improving. And if I'm improving, then maybe I can get my book edited and published.

How's "platypus" doing? I saw she had written more, but I got the sense she was looking more to you for guidance and I didn't want to muck with that.

fairyhedgehog said...

I think platypuspower may be looking to me for guidance but if you post or comment in a public place anyone can chip in and usually does. So feel free to join in!

Bevie said...

Sorry for the delay in getting your comment through. Even I sleep sometimes, although it is isn't even 3:30 a.m. right now.

You're right. In my old fashioned way of approaching the cyber world I tend to visualize visiting a blog the same as visiting someone's home. I think that's why I made the "no posting" promise to Evil Editor's Minions. But it's more like the old Roman Senate, isn't it? I expect each Senator had a certain "place" where they spoke from, but it was still public.

You never gave an opinion on the new moniker. I take it PorkBelliedDPanther doesn't move you? On my other blog, A Voice in the Wind, I posted about my finding a graphic I had made twenty years ago. I worked for a newspaper at the time and had visions of my own column. I was going to call it "Bevie's Corner".

I didn't use "Bevie's Corner" here because I had lost the graphic. Now I've found it again (actually, it was in Spouse's desk and Spouse produced it after I tore the house upside down looking for it).

The trouble is, I suppose, people already know of me as BBJD. I guess I've already got my brand.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think