Sailors on the Sea

Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Moody Blues

I think the Moody Blues are my favorite band of all time. Yes, I grew up with the Beatles. And I watched the Monkees on television. And the Beach Boys were supposed to be America's answer to the Beatles. And let's not forget the Grateful Dead and their Deadheads, or Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones.

There's quite a long list of rock bands which have influenced me considerably. Some are quite famous. Others are perhaps less well known. I liked Susan Jacks and the Poppy Family. I liked the Cowsills, the Supremes, the Carpenters, the Platters, the Byrds, the Association and the New Christy Minstrels. And a host of sole and duet acts. And then there are the Country artists, the crooners, classical music and even children's songs.

But no band, soloist, folk group or what have you, captures my imagination like the Moody Blues. They generate a sound which inspires me to creative work. This is especially so after Justin Hayward and John Lodge joined. They made the sound complete.

Amazingly, I find there are Moody Blues songs I have yet to hear. I only recently learned of The Actor, which is a great song. A good number of their songs inspire me to write Swords of Fire, but some go beyond and touch others areas. Here is a list of some of their songs which I know. I'm amazed at how many they have I don't know.

Actor, the
And the Tide Rushes In *
Are You Sitting Comfortably ***

Balance, the *
Dawning is the Day
Dear Diary

Don't You Feel Small
Dream, the
For My Lady ***

Gemini Dream
Have You Heard Pts 1 and 2 ***
How Is It (we are here)

I Know You're Out There Somewhere
I'm Just a Singer (in a rock 'n roll band) ***
In the Beginning

Isn't Life Strange
It's Up to You
Late Lament

Lazy Day
Legend of a Mind
Lovely to See You

Melancholy Man
Minstrel's Song
Never Comes the Day *

Nights in White Satin
Other Side of Life
Question

Ride My See-Saw *
Send Me No Wine
So Deep Within You

Story in Your Eyes ***
To Share Our Love
Tortoise and the Hare

Tuesday Afternoon
Voice, the
Voyage, the

Your Wildest Dreams *

Quite a list. I have most of them, but not all.

*** = top five
* = next five

No comments:

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think