Sailors on the Sea

Monday, June 1, 2009

Monday Verses Monday

It's been a long while since I posted some verse. Of my own anyway. At least, it seems a long time. For all I know I could have posted something yesterday.

Anyway, I wanted to be different today. Something which comes to me naturally. Got to thinking about the reservoir of story ideas which never get tapped. One is a silly story I never wrote down. Don't recall if it even showed up as a title in my List of Stories. It's a silly idea which I never thought through. Don't recall the circumstances of its inspiration anymore.

The story was to be called, The Dead, The Dying, and The Other. It was a satire on blind obedience, I guess, although I didn't know it at the time. At the time it was just a silly story. But the point of the story was this: What happens when a culture becomes so obedient that its members die simply because they are told they are supposed to? And what happens when an outsider comes and questions the dead about why they are dead? Can a dead and dying society wake from its blind obedience?

I'm not likely to write the story, but I did write some limerick verse inspired by the title.

The Dead, The Dying, and The Other
by Bevie James

The Dead, The Dying, and The Other
Once knew each other’s mother
Who slapped their behinds
When they hid in the blinds
And called them each such a bother

The Other, The Dead, and the Dying
Gave up and all quit trying
What’s the use, they all cried
Our dreams have all died
We’d rather be up there and flying

The Dying, The Other, the Dead
Looked at each other and said
You know life is short
And it’s time to abort
Let’s go now and drink and be wed

The moral of these silly three
Is not quite so plainly to see
For they are all just fools
Who obey silly rules
They know nothing of how to be free

No comments:

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think