Sailors on the Sea

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Music Again - And Still - And Forever - And Forever

Have you ever wished you could sing? I mean sing well?

Perhaps you already do. No such luck for me. I've got a voice which strongly resembles beef jerky - strong emphasis on jerky. Remember the commercial? There's no middle ground. Either you love it or hate it. Most hate my singing.

I recall working in the mail room back in the early 1980s. A horrible job. Boring. Dirty. Time consuming. Low pay. I recall being the "bagger". This was the wonderful job in which I would take filthy postal bags which had just been filled by the second sorter with bundled magazines. I had to carry them and stack them on a pallet, then get a new, empty, filthy bag and hang it up for the second sorter to fill again. Not. Good. Work.

To amuse myself, I used to sing. There were so many machines going only those close to me were able to hear me. They were not amused.

The song I have embedded in this post is one I used to sing. It's a beautiful song and I still sing along with it in the car. I can actually hit the low notes. It's the higher ones which give me trouble. The song is And the Grass Won't Pay No Mind, by Mark Lindsay.

I'm kind of amazed this song never became popular. It's never played anymore on even "oldie" stations. But it's so beautiful. Dreamy. I've written some great story scenes to this music. It makes me feel young again. Young and hopeful, with a full life ahead of me. Now I'm none of those things. But I still like the music. I still dream. And I will still write.


Here's another Mark Lindsay song. Silver Bird. Guess I'm feeling a bit Lindsay this morning.


Oh. Happy Father's Day.

5 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I'm glad you're still dreaming and writing.

I like my speaking voice but I don't think much of my singing voice at all especially as I tend to squeak on high notes, which includes rather a lot of them.

And now I can squeak on the clarinet too!

Bevie said...

Haha!

My voice cracks sometimes, too. It's like being in seventh grade all over again. There are songs that I love to hear myself sing - from the inside of my head as opposed to ears only.

You have one of the most beautiful speaking voices I have ever heard. Haven't heard your singing voice, and based on your comment I'm thinking I may never. Pity. I bet it's a lot better than you credit yourself for.

fairyhedgehog said...

I don't know. I think I have a realistic appreciation of my speaking voice, so if my singing voice was as good I think I'd know.

It's not a problem. I just don't sing to other people, although I go around singing at home sometimes.

Bevie said...

My problem is I do sing to other people. [haha]

Maybe you're a second alto trying to sing soprano?

fairyhedgehog said...

That's part of it. The trouble is that I don't do part singing so I just need the melody to be lower than anyone else does!

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think