Sailors on the Sea

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Filling Up My Time

Don't know how much writing I'm going be getting done now. We've started the garage sale and that is taxing. At least, it was yesterday.

I suppose this post really belongs on A Voice in the Wind, but I've already made a post there today. Wrote about the last day of school when I was a Freshman in high school.

Have mixed feelings about yesterday's sales. We got rid of a lot of stuff and made a fair amount of money. Most of what we sold was from our BNB Gifts inventory. Had we sold the items at retail prices we would have made several hundred dollars. But I had priced them below cost, just to get rid of them. Had we even been able to sell them at the prices I had given them we would have made more than one hundred dollars. But two missionary ladies showed up and kept arguing down prices, so instead of taking 60% losses I wound up taking 90% losses. Items we paid $8 for I had priced at $5. They only wanted to pay $1. And good ole me, wanting to be nice, ultimately agreed. So they're happy and I'm not. But they did buy some things I had not been able to sell at any other cost, so perhaps I should feel good about it after all. We don't have to move it anyway.

At the same time, we had a man come and pay $3 for one item in a box marked $3 for the entire box. His feeling was that I wasn't asking nearly enough for the items and was willing to pay what they were worth to him. Another woman gave Spouse $20 and said we should go to Dairy Queen after Son's band concert. (That went exceedingly well, by the way.) Another woman keeps bringing others to the sale. She also bought one of our plants from our shrub garden.

I was sitting in my chair and looking around the yard when it occurred to me we could sell our shrubs. At the local nursery they are going for $20-30 each. So I told people they could have them for $5 - with the understanding they would bring their own shovel and dig them up themselves. We have lilacs, vibernum, wiegela, spirea, and potentilla. We also have some silvermound, dragon's blood, and a couple I don't remember the names of. I even told someone they can have the apple trees. As far as I'm concerned these things do not belong to the house. I won't take cupboards out (like one neighbor wants), or things like that, but if we paid for it separately, then it's separate and we can sell it. Or try to. The landscaping is all going to be torn up by whoever takes over anyway.

Seeing some of these things go makes me feel better, even if we're not getting thousands of dollars. We won't have to move them, and that's what's important now. Most people are nice and are not inclined to haggle over pricing. I'm just hoping the missionary ladies don't come back. I talk big when they're away, but face-to-face I'm just a doormat.

So, writing is going to be a problem. As long as I manage to wake early I will get a blog post in, but even visiting other blogs is going to be hard. I'm almost out of time this morning and I haven't begun my visits. May not get many in. Sorry if I miss yours.

Day two is about to begin. Got to get our musical motion dolls out, our yard things, and the food and drink. Heck of a day. Right?

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

It all sounds so hard. Can you get Spouse to deal with the missionaries if you're too nice? They really don't deserve it.

Bevie said...

Spouse wants to give everything away already (unless it's something she likes). Son and I have each had more than one argument about pricing.

But I have drawn a line in the sand regarding certain items: handmade wooden toys and musical motion dolls. Those I am willing to move, so I won't negotiate price.

Today is going slow, but steady. Unless things change it will be a lower dollar day than yesterday.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think