Sailors on the Sea

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Musical Playlists to Suit Every Mood - well, some moods anyways

While visiting Wolverine's blog I found he had posted about adding a musical playlist to his sidebar. He got the idea from Earwen. Now I know there is nothing new about this. I've been to plenty of blogs where music begins playing. But for some reason I had never gone through the trouble of doing it for my own.

Now, thanks to Wolverine and Earwen, I have.

Currently, I have added music to four of my six blogs. Two, including this one, have the autoplay feature turned OFF. Two, have it ON. I have it turned OFF on blogs which get regular visitors. It is ON for blogs which get very few visits.

The obvious advantage of playlists is that one gets more than one song, and that the cycle will automatically repeat when completed. Unlike the YouTube links which I have hitherto been using.

Over on Tales From The Great Sea the playlist is made up entirely of Alan Parsons Project songs. There is a haunting quality from a lot of their songs which goes right to my creativity. Like the Moody Blues and Al Stewart. The autoplay feature is ON for Tales From The Great Sea.

Over on A Voice in the Wind the playlist takes a more shotgun approach, including songs of great power with moving pieces which touch the deepest wells of the heart. There, the autoplay feature is OFF.

The playlist for Faith in Forgiveness was difficult to put together. I must confess that I do not listen to a lot of "Christian" music. In order for me to enjoy a song it absolutely has to draw me to a time in my life which has meaning. Few Christian songs do. So, what probably shocks some, I begin my "christian" playlist with a song from The Who. But the song has intended religious connotations. I saw the movie. That autoplay feature is ON.

Haven't done one for Cat in the Buff, or Legion of On-Line Super Heroes. I'm thinking Legion of On-Line Super Heroes should have cartoon heroics (or no music at all). Cat in the Buff should have playful, energetic music. If Legion of On-Line Super Heroes gets a playlist it should probably have autoplay ON, despite it being the most visited of all my blogs. Cat in the Buff, however, I'm not sure about.

Any ideas?

6 comments:

Wolverine said...

I think you should have energetic music on Cat in the Buff. I don't know if you should have it on autoplay though. I think you should put it at the top, or near the top for people to see if they want to turn it off or on.

Bevie said...

Sounds good. I put something on the Legion Blog. Found some old television theme songs. I'll wait and see who complains.

fairyhedgehog said...

I'm not sure about putting autoplay on the Legion blog, seeing that you've got so many other people also contributing. You might want to see what they say.

Bevie said...

Sounds good. I'll make the change.

writtenwyrdd said...

I fervently request no soundtrack on the Legion blog!!!!!!!

I really hate music on web sites. If it automatically comes on I try to turn it off. If I can't turn it off, generally I leave never to return again. If I MUST read something there, I will kill the sound until I can go away.

One reason I dislike music on web sites is the same reason I dislike automated ads and other applets that eat bandwidth and ram: It slows down page loading. My expensive dsl is already as slow as dial up was ten years ago. No need to make it worse, I say.

But you can do what you like on your own personal blogs pages.

Bevie said...

The music is OFF. I only have it playing on Faith in Forgiveness and Tales From The Great Sea. Those blogs get so few visits it doesn't matter. And the music CAN be turned off.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think