Sailors on the Sea

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Plans of Mice and Men - and Bevie

So, I've recently decided to write more stories from The Great Sea. Not about it. From it. These will be stories not directly associated with my Swords of Fire Saga. They will be completely independent, taking advantage of the thousands of worlds which float upon The Great Sea.

Some that I've already written, such as Apprentice and Quest, fit nicely on The Sea. Others less so. But I'm still very curious about The Great Sea. As much as I already know about it, there is so much I have yet to discover, and Swords of Fire is not going to reveal it all to me. So the solution became simple: write other stories.

At the moment I do not foresee any of these stories (with the exception of my Kiahva series) becoming even a novella, much less a novel. In fact, my first go after making this decision is just a poem. I posted it on Tales From The Great Sea. I warn you, though. It's kind of sick. It's supposed to be. One of those culture shock things.

Originally, this blog was to be about Swords of Fire, but it has rapidly transformed into one more about my fantasy writing in general. I like that. Prefer it. Tales From The Great Sea (originally named SOF-The People) was orginally to be about Saga elements, but now it will take the role of all things pertaining to The Great Sea. I prefer that, too.

I feel this is an important year for me. Probably the most important year I have had in a long time. Something is going to happen this year. Something wonderful. Haven't a clue what it is, but I think I'm ready for it, whatever it might be.

For years I used to dream about speaking before an unknown number of faceless people. Always wondered what it meant. Now I find myself wondering if writing on my blogs isn't a fulfillment of those dreams.

Could be. I don't really know how many of you there are, despite having a blog counter. (It doesn't always work properly.) And since only a few of you have ever posted pictures of yourselves, most of you are quite faceless to me.

What I do know is that I feel better about doing this all day and every day than I have ever felt about any job I have done in my life, and I entered the job market thirty-five years ago. What a shame there's no money in this, huh?

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I do hope you find a way to get paid for doing what you love.

I loved my last job so much I would have been happy to do it as voluntary work but it did pay, and reasonably well. I miss it.

Bevie said...

It would be nice.

I've had jobs I liked, but never one which gave me fulfillment. What's interesting is that the less I was paid for a job the closer it came to fulfillment.

It's not about the money, is it?

But a person has to eat.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think