Sailors on the Sea

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Music in My Life - Perhaps it is My Life

Music Saturday. Getting back into the music. Gotta love it. Returning to my roots. Deep roots. My sister sent over some music to sell at the garage sale. Books, too. Spouse and Son dumped some of his preschool books. The only book of mine which went was one my brother gave me a few years ago: The South Beach Diet. Did me a lot of good. Must have gained about twenty pounds since putting it on the shelf. Of course, I'm losing weight now. No. Really. Here's the link to prove it.

No. I could not bring myself into releasing any of my music - or books. But especially music.

God gave us our physical senses, of which we name five: speech, smell, touch, sight, hearing. I've had more than one person tell me the world would be a better place should I lose my ability to speak. And of course I've been told I smell far too much. But don't you just love the smell of fresh cut grass? Of rain and waterfalls? Blooming lilacs? Green peppers (smell, not eat)?

My feet have gone numb and I can strongly attest that that is annoying. I used to like walking barefoot in soft grass. Now it's like wearing shoes. Only I have to wear shoes because I don't even know it when I cut my feet. What a nuisance.

Going blind is scary. I thought I had once. Wore contacts in those days. Didn't keep them cleaned properly. One day I woke up and found I couldn't open my left eye much or my right eye at all. Terrifying. Really. I worked my way to the telephone and called the clinic. They set up an appointment and Spouse brought me in. They poured some stinging solution into my eyes and I was able to see again. Had to repeat the procedure daily for a week. Haven't worn contacts since. Too lazy to keep them cleaned properly. Slept with them in, too. That was great when I woke one day and couldn't get them out. Use up an entire bottle of eye drops before the seal released. When they came out it was like my eyes could breathe again. I suppose they could. I don't wear contacts anymore. Turns out my eyes are physically suited for them anyway. Really convenient though.

Losing my hearing, too. It's really annoying to Spouse and Son. They will tell me things and I sit pleasantly going on about my business like they're not there. Not being rude. I just can't hear them well enough to even know they're talking to me. I'm surprised they still do. But let me sit at the computer and they can't seem to find anything better to do. I try to instigate a conversation and they have no time. But I'm not deaf. Not yet. I still get to listen to my music - albeit loudly. Of course, that is how I am losing my hearing in the first place - loud music. Loud music with headphones. Music fills my soul like water through a sponge. Whenever I'm feeling dry I return to music and let it moisten my soul - sometimes with tears. Those are the best songs. They draw up from the very depths and remind me I still live.

Nothing special going on today. Just listening to a variety of music. Here's a short list.

Only the Strong Survive: Jerry Butler

Pied Piper: Crispian St Peters

Way Down Yonder in New Orleans: Freddie (boom boom) Cannon

Action: Freddie (boom boom) Cannon

How Do You Do: Mouth and McNeal

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I've never listened to loud music and I'm still hard of hearing. Worse in one ear than the other and luckily we can afford a hearing aid.

Bevie said...

I'm not to a hearing aid at this time, although I probably could use one.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think