Sailors on the Sea

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Not Finished Yet

Been way off on my writing of late. Including my blogs. Haven't visited anyone else's blog in a week now. I apologize for that. One I visited as many as forty in a day. Now I'm down to zero. Went several days without writing on my own, too.

To be honest, I was seriously considering just shutting down and going quiet. Give up what I like doing, find some cr*p job I hate (but generates an income), and passively wait for my time to bail permanently.

But I'm not ready for that. Not yet. I suppose the day is coming, but it's not here yet. I find I miss the writing, even when nobody reads it and writes back. For those of you who do, I thank you. That does enhance the experience considerably. Solos are fine and well, but sometimes one likes to be part of a chorus.

There is something about writing which has always appealed to me. What's strange about that is I have never been able to maintain a diary. I've tried. Over and over and over again I have started journals, only to abandon them within a few weeks. Blogging is kind of like that, except I am not reporting what's going on in my daily life every day.

These blogs of mine (and there are six now) offer me an outlet unlike anything I have ever had before. For one thing, I have met some incredibly wonderful people from around the world. Old Scardy-Cat Bevie would never have met any of you were it not for my blogs. And your blogs. I'll be returning to my visits again. Just not sure when. I feel almost like I'm starting over. A mini-crisis has been weathered and the skies are clear again.

Got an idea for a seventh blog. Wanted to start it last March, but it requires a lot of background work first. For one thing, I have to rewrite a program I wrote back in the early 1980s which I have never been able to completely rewrite since I lost it in the late 1980s. It's not the kind of thing I'm thinking is going to appeal to a lot of people, but then I didn't think any of my blogs would appeal to anyone. Even the Legion of Super On-Line Heroes blog wasn't begun until I knew there was interest. Which reminds me: we've made some refinements to the blog, making it easier (hopefully) to follow your favorite Author and Hero. Also, this new formatting makes occassional submissions even better than before. So if you would like to write a hero story, but don't want to commit to a regular schedule, now you can do so without feeling you are letting anyone down. If you're interested, I recommend going to the blog and letting us know. Just comment on the most recent post and we'll set you up.

So, to update everyone on where I am at with my writing projects, I believe I am on Chapter Five of The Animal Kingdom. My third installment of Hidden Embers will post on Legion of Super On-Line Heroes Saturday morning. Haven't started the fourth episode. Still haven't re-written my query for Swords of Fire: Traitor.

My life's currently being taken up with preparations for a large garage sale we're about to have. Going to try and sell lots of things, including nearly all of our remaining furniture. What would really be nice would be if we could sell off our gift business inventory. I really feel bad that just never panned out well. Oh, well. Ceste la vie, right?

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

Have you submitted any of your short stories? Electric Spec is running a series on short stories and today they provided a link to Ralan.com where you can see a whole host of story markets. It won't make you a fortune but it might be something.

Bevie said...

Thanks, Fairy. Actually, I have not submitted a thing to an agent or publisher since last fall. (Got rejected.)

Checking out the markets now.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think