Sailors on the Sea

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Music in My Heart - It Changes You Know

Do you have a song? One that speaks to your heart more than any other? One that defines who you are to yourself? Over my life I have had several, I guess.

The first I recall was the one from this post. It became kind of my theme song through the 70s. By the time I graduated from high school it was how I felt most of the time. I think it was how a lot of teenagers felt most of the time. Being a teenager kind of s*cks sometimes. Remember? Sometimes it was a lot of fun. The highs were so high. But then came the lows, and they were so low. Such was growing up.

It's amazing to me that things have changed. While the song still touches me, it no longer speaks the same words of stoic defiance. It turns out the walls I built were not so impenetrable as I believed. For some, it is like they don't even exist. Danged if I know how they do it, but there are people in this world who just walk into the inner circles of my heart whether I want them to or not. Kind of scary, actually. And comforting. Not quite the island of rock I imagined myself to be.

I Am a Rock
by Simon and Garfunkel

A winters day
In a deep and dark December
I am alone
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow
I am a rock
I am an island

I've built walls
A fortress deep and mighty
That none may penetrate
I have no need of friendship friendship causes pain
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain
I am a rock
I am an island

Don't talk of love
But I've heard the words before
It's sleeping in my memory
I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died
If I never loved I never would have cried
I am a rock
I am an island

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me
I am shielded in my armor
Hiding in my room safe within my womb
I touch no one and no one touches me
I am a rock
I am an island

And a rock feels no pain
And an island never cries




Such was the way it was.

The way it is? How's about this?

No comments:

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think