Sailors on the Sea

Monday, May 4, 2009

Haven't Gone Exactly Dry - Just Windy I Guess

So I wanted to write something cool. Wanted to express a deep mood and feeling. Then I realized today was a Not Home Alone day. It's hard to get writing in on days like this. Did get posts done on SOF-The People and A Voice in the Wind, but nothing more.

It's probably just as well, though. I haven't really been happy with many of my posts for more than a week now. My thoughts are kind of distracted and I'm having trouble correctly expressing what I'm feeling. I get close, but it's like making a supper and finding out it wasn't really what I wanted to eat after all.

Thought about writing a poem, but the last one was so awful I've resisted. Wrote a bit on The Animal Kingdom, but quit after finishing the second chapter.

You ever get in this writing mode, where no matter what you write it doesn't fulfill? The sense of longing remains. It's not exactly lack of inspiration. It's like trying to tune a guitar. Sometimes it just doesn't seem to want to sound right no matter what you do. So you loosen the string WAY too much and try again. Then again. You repeat it until finally you hear the harmonious tone which satisfies.

Still looking for that harmonious tone, I guess. Time to loosen up. What a pity I can't drink alcohol. [haha] Well, I could, I suppose, but it would be my last post before making my final trip. Alcohol doesn't mix well with my medicines. Found that out the hard way when I took some Ni-Quill a few years back. Nearly wound up in the hospital.

Got a four-mile bike ride to look forward to in a bit. Son and I are biking to the mall to visit Spouse at work. That isn't going to loosen me up. My backside still's sore from a half hour ride this morning. Asked the guy who sold me the bike about gel seats and he dismissed my concern as no big deal. Before I invest extra money in a seat I need to give this one a go to see if I really need it. Well, my backside is pretty good sized, so I think it is a big deal Unlike the youthful enthusiasts at the bicycle shop, I have no desire to "tough it out" and become another Greg Lamond, or whatever his name is. Will be looking into a replacement bicycle seat, I think. At my age (and width) it's about comfort.

Until then, I guess I've successfully wasted a bit of cyber space. Sorry.

4 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

Your bicycle guy was pretty unhelpful. You don't necessarily need to change the seat. You can buy a gel saddle cover and that will make it much more comfortable.

Bevie said...

I was thinking it was an entire seat. It's just a cover. Cool!

Bet the shop didn't sell them. Also, because I'm fat now athletic people don't tend to see me as ever having been athletic and figure I probably don't merit comfort anyway.

Who knows? The girl who sold us Son's bike was VERY helpful and had Son try out four bikes and answered all questions as though they were quite important. She was there when I got my bike and even came to talk with Son and me to see how he was enjoying his bike. I felt so good about that I bought a biking book with maps of trails around the Minneapolis-St Paul area.

Going to order a gel seat for each of us. Thanks, Fairy.

fairyhedgehog said...

I think you can get them cheaper than the link I found - that just had the best description.

Do you think that sometimes you're assuming what people think and they are actually thinking something quite different?

Bevie said...

"Do you think that sometimes you're assuming what people think and they are actually thinking something quite different?"

Oh, you always cut to the heart of things, don't you? [smiles] Good.

Without a doubt I do. I keep failing mind-reading. I tend to impose my own self-image on others, don't I? Not exactly fair to them, as it makes them out to be far more harsh than they really are. What would be fairer would be to impose my image of them on them. Generally, I find when I meet people I like them.

I'll do a web search on the gel covers and see what I can find.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think