Sailors on the Sea

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Friend For Life

Have you ever told someone who doesn't write that writing makes you tired? If you have then you have gotten "the look", haven't you? You know the one. It's that condescending, "Right", look which speaks volumes about their opinion of someone who thinks scribbling with a pen or pencil, or tapping some keys is somehow strenuous. But you know they couldn't do it.

You know something else I've noticed? That people who work eight hours a day doing some sort of physical labor (tossing bales of hay, landscaping, construction, or anything which requires great and/or continuous physical effort) always seem to be filled with energy to do other things when they get off work?

Meanwhile, the people who spend their day in an office dealing with this problem and that, trying to figure out how to do whatever, come home completely exhausted.

Odd.

Went bicycle riding with Son the other day. We biked seven miles. When we got home we both felt energized. Meanwhile, on days when I actually work on writing something, I feel worn out. Of course, neither bicycle riding nor writing is generating any money for me, so I guess it doesn't matter which I do.

But my point is that writing is hard. Even bad writing. (I know. That's the only kind I know how to do.)

Writing puts a strain on the spirit while physical exertion seems to release it. And of the two, the wearing down of the spirit is far more taxing than the wearing down of the body.

Sometimes I have become tired just thinking about writing. This is when the Muses have deserted me for more fertile ground to play on. During these times writing anything is taxing. Lack of confidence also makes writing hard. When too many things have gone contrary to my desires I cease to believe in my ability to do anything right, including write.

When I was young I remember talking with my brother about sports in general. The two of us played a lot of sports together, despite his being ten years older than me (nearly to the day). Mother hated sports. But then she hated anything that took her children's attention away from her. But she (and a couple of my sisters) often argued with Mickey about the uselessness of sports. As far as they could see, sports were pointless.

I had not bothered to argue with them. My attitude was, what was the point? By keeping silent their criticisms didn't last quite so long. But at the same time I felt personally maligned by their dislike of activities which gave me great pleasure. The truth was, I didn't know how to put my feelings into words at that time. Too young, I guess. But Mickey put it better than anyone I have ever known.

Sports is my friend. It's one of my best friends. I know it will always be there for me.

That was it! It explained it all. Every time I played baseball, or football, or any sport, I was engaged with more than just the other players on the field of play. There was something else there. Something alive! It was Sport itself.

Unfortunately, Sports and I had a parting of the way. It changed to suit a new attitude which I cannot abide. It was an unhappy, but necessary, parting. I hardly pay attention to sports anymore. Don't care for the attitudes of athletes, coaches, reports, or spectators.

Writing is another Friend. One that is still with me. It has also changed, as it has many times through the years. The story forms which worked well in the 1800s are no longer accepted. Same is true of early 1900s work, and other eras. To be honest, I very much doubt that J.R.R.Tolkien could get his book published today. The requirements have changed.

But writing is different than sports, because writing still has a place for people like me. People who just want to write and be happy with what they've written. People who want to write a story that's just fun to read. Will agents and publishing houses want what we've go to offer? Probably not. But unlike Sports, in which the whole point of even playing has changed, writing still has a place for me. Together we can still have fun. Sometimes wearying fun. I can still put together words in a way that I like. That make me happy. For when I am happy, so is the writing - even when it's saying something sad.

Sometimes, however, I do find myself wishing for more.

No comments:

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think