Sailors on the Sea

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

More Sad News in the Neighborhood

One of our neighbors just stopped by. Saw Spouse outside and came to tell us his son, just a couple of years older than Son, committed suicide some time Monday evening or Tuesday morning.

I'm still feeling sick. And it puts everything I moan and groan about into a new perspective. My troubles are easy troubles. My griefs are nothing. How awful.

So why write about someone else's sorrow on my blog? I don't know. I guess it's a kind of desperate plea for someone, somewhere, to make things better. Do we know how to roll back time and restart? How often have I wished we could.

My neighbor said it wasn't entirely a surprise. The boy had tried before, and one of his counselors had warned he would try again. In fact, she said he was likely to correct the mistakes of the earlier attempt and succeed. He did.

Sometimes we are so helpless when we are confronted by another's anguish. We love. We exhort. We encourage. But sometimes they still go away.

Although I did not know the boy, except by name, this news will affect me for a time. Sadly, I will soon forget the emotions I feel now. His parents never will. Not while they walk the earth.

A lot of things fell upon this young boy at the same time. Things he shouldn't have cared about at his young age. The world financial collapse bothered him. That our government should be proven to be as corrupt and evil (torture and such) as our "enemies" bothered him. Banks, corruption, war. These are not things a fourteen-year-old boy should be carrying.

Inevitably, the news makes me worry for my own son. He is entering that turbulent time of teenagers in which everything is either the best or the worst. However things are now, that is how they will be forever. And it's all my fault. The horrible time of being a teenager.

Made Son go to school this morning. He said he wasn't feeling well, but I got the distinct impression he was afraid about something. He had at least one homework assignment he had neglected to complete yesterday. Perhaps there was another. In any case, I could tell he was hoping I would let him stay home. I didn't. I didn't get a kiss when he left the car either. So now I'm going to be all teary until I bring him home again.

It's hard to be a parent. But I've got it a hell of a lot easier than the man across the street.

UPDATE: I went to school and brought Son home early. He is still not feeling well. Got a hug. [smiles] I'm not a good parent, though, am I?

4 comments:

Aniket Thakkar said...

Though I am not a parent myself but now I understand the choices parents has to make for their kid much better than I used to before.

Its their responsibility to make the right choices for us when we are unable to do so for ourselves. They might seem harsh but they always have the best interests at heart. And as long as your son believes that. You have done a swell job!!

If they let me stay home every time I said I didn't wanna go then I would have had very long vacations.

You are obviously going through a hard time but time heals everything... well almost everything.

I wish things get better soon at your end.

fairyhedgehog said...

That's terrible. It's my worst fear as a parent.

I'm hope your son feels better soon. Maybe he can tell you what's wrong.

Bevie said...

Thanks Aniket. Yeah, becoming a parent is the greatest and worst day of your life. It's the greatest because of this new life, and it's impossible to accurately describe. It's the worst because instantly you begin to fear for the child. The fear never goes away.

Bevie said...

Hi, Fairy. I caved in and brought him home early. Talked to him about what happened. Spouse wants to keep him shielded from bad news like this, but my thinking is he is going to hear about it anyway. I would just as soon he talk it over with me before he gets the rumors.

He's got one or two things going on, I think. On the one hand I suspect he was concerned about getting sick during phy-ed today. He's got sick at school before and it just humiliates him. But at the same time, I think he actually wasn't feeling well, for he didn't act any better when we got home.

Seems to be doing all right now, though.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think