Sailors on the Sea

Friday, July 31, 2009

The Simple Sad Truth

What does it mean to expect a thing, and then it doesn’t happen
What does it mean to hope and dream, and know it is not true
When dreams are dashed, when hopes fade dim, the light goes from the day
And sadness, grief, and loneliness, fills a soul with blue

What is it that will make us dream, make us think we can
What is it that will give us hope, and make us try again
When failure follows failure, and knowledge proves so wrong
Is it time to call it off, and let fading hopes just wane

To believe is joy, to hope is song, to try again is glee
It makes us young, it makes us strong, it’s the same for you and me
Until reality strikes home, and orders dreams to cease
And tells us that we are forsaken, alone is all we’ll be

The Potter makes his vessels, some he makes of clay
Some he makes of copper, gold, or glass or wood or stone
And some he makes for wasteful things, to carry them away
These paper cups, and plastic trays, are set off all alone

It’s hard just being garbage, cast off with rotting smells
It’s hard not having value, no purpose wise and good
But the dung beetle is what it is, and does just what it does
For me to be just nothing now, it’s what I really should

No comments:

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think