Sailors on the Sea

Saturday, July 18, 2009

I Belong to the Past

I am quickly becoming ancient. Just went to www.playlist.com to set some music going and was confronted with a screen requesting my cell phone number. Fortunately, I was allowed to bypass and go directly to my account.

What's the problem with giving out my cell phone number?

I don't have one.

Never have been a phone person. When I was young and was told to answer the telephone, or was the only one home and happened to be next to it when it rang, people calling would groan inside and curse their luck for getting me. I didn't do well on the phone.

Got better as I got older, but it was work. Did some of they key things, such as smile when talking, and desperately try to pay attention. The problem is, not being able to see the other person I am easily distracted by other things. Besides, there's something about telephones which bug me. They're great for dialing 911 and such, but when I was younger (and actually had people who didn't mind my presence) I would just hop in the car and drive to a house to see if whoever was home. Sometimes they weren't. Stephen's mother would always say to me, "Why didn't you call first?" It was easier to come over.

So much of modern technology gets on my nerves, despite the benefits. I don't have cable, dish, or anything else like that. And with the conversion to high definition I lost several stations. They don't come in despite me having the exact antennae demonstrated as the one to get. Do get an extra PBS station, and that's good. The new station shows lots of historical shows about the midwest and central Canada. Very interesting stuff.

I struggle with the internet, although I'm doing better. But my interest isn't sufficient for me to experiment and explore too much. For one thing, I've stumbled onto a couple of websites which attacked my computers viciously. I lost the nice computer I had when the mother board burned out. Losing that computer cost me dearly.

So I don't have a cell phone. Don't have a bank card. Do have a credit card. Don't have an Ipod. Just read that the U.S. is requiring everyone who enters to have a scannable passport. Some guy in California did an experiment with some inexpensive equipment he purchased. He went out in his car and, just driving around, was able to scan six passports inside twenty minutes. Got every iota of information on the cards. I'm not likely to be getting a passport either.

Not that I can afford to fly, but Canada is within driving distance. Ontario is a beautiful place. At least away from the cities. Thought it might be nice to take Son up some day to show him. Probably won't happen now.

I have been told by more than one person that the kind of stories I like best are not written anymore. People want different stuff. Certainly they want it told differently.

Perhaps. But I can't help what I like. And I can't help it if it belongs to the past. So do I, I guess. We have a lot of great things today because of advances in technology. However, we gave up a lot to get them. Some good things of the past are mutually exclusive with good things of the present. It's always been that way, I guess. I suppose being old is when one reaches the place where they recognize the absence of good things which are gone and not to return.

Don't know. I'll just continue to write what I like. Who knows? Perhaps one day it will be viewed as a refreshing look to the past.

Today's music:

Dave Mason: Only You Know and I Know

Seal: Kiss From a Rose

Allman Brothers Band: Jessica

Joan Baez: Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

Lloyd Price: Stagger Lee

Bellamy Brothers: Let Your Love Flow

2 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

I don't bother with a cell phone because our coverage sucks. They are incredibly useful when travelling, but since I don't use the phone much otherwise, it's not a big deal. I just hope I don't break down in the middle of nowhere!

I do have an mp3 player for use when on the treadmill, but I've only had it a few months. I'm not a big fan of electronics or electrical gadgets at all, except for computers (and the internet).

Bevie said...

Technology. It makes our lives better and worse at the same time.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think