Sailors on the Sea

Saturday, July 11, 2009

How Do You Tell a Good Story

It's Music Saturday, and in honor of the occasion I have changed my music playlist at the top of this blog. It's a short list of fourteen songs by female artists - mostly Carly Simon. Some of my favorite songs are not available at playlist.com. But as the service is free I'm not in much of a position to complain.

I love music, and I envy those who can produce it. My personal efforts in the matter have been sporadic at best, and non-existent at worst. Having a voice like beef jerky (no middle ground: either you love it or you hate it) I have received more than a few weighty criticisms over the years. Been made fun of for my efforts in piano, harp, guitar and bass, too. Also, not being able to produce the sounds which touch my very heart is frustrating. So I don't practice my instruments. Do sing, though. I can still express myself to tears. My singing has the same effect on others, too, only I have my doubts it's as emotionally moving for them as for me.

A number of years ago I watched a 60 Minutes piece about music. A famous woman of broadway (and I apologize for not remembering her name, but class and I have never been exactly on a hand-shaking basis) was at Julliard talking to students. They were all thrilled because they understood the potential to "get discovered". The woman had some of the students get up and sing. I only remember the one guy. He got up, nervous, but clearly determined to give his best. And he had a nice voice. But his song was about as moving as constipation. Nothing. I remember thinking to myself, why don't they ever teach people how to interpret a song. Anyone with a voice can sing, but few people seem to know how to "tell a song". Look at some of the more famous artists in history. Not always great voices. In fact, some had/have voices which makes one wonder how they became successful. I know how. They can "tell a song".

The famous woman (FW) interrupted the guy before he had sung more than two minutes. She told him he had an excellent voice. Then she asked him a question.

What is the song about?

The guy began giving all kinds of background. Once again FW interrupted him.

No. You're wrong. That's not what the song is about.

Guy was a bit put off, but daren't contradict the professional. FW was no fool, though, and she continued.

Do you want to know what the song is about?

He did. (He wasn't a complete fool either.)

Sex.

Everyone laughed. FW got angry with the class and turned on them.

I'm serious! And if you are going to make it in this industry you'd better be, too. ALL great songs are about sex. You do not sing them with your voices, or even your hearts. You sing them with your loins. Focus on that and you will sing better than your voices. It isn't the voice which makes you great, although that helps. It's knowing what you're singing about.

That's all I remember about the piece, but it has stuck with me for years. Every so often I think about it. I think FW was right. The songs which touch me deepest, which make cry, or feel cuddly, or whatever, they all speak somehow to sex. How odd. Or is it?

We are sexual beings. It's a large part of our make up. For some it's larger than for others. [smiles] But that's the breaks. Right?

Writing is kind of like that, too. Well, mine is. My writing can all be boiled down to relationships, and sex is part of any relationship - even non-gay friendships. This is true whether we like it or not. Or maybe I'm just talking about myself. Sex is the tension used to keep interst longer than any other kind. And I don't mean it always (or ever) has to result in intercourse. Realistically, it seldom does. But it's the awareness of sex which creates the tension. And it's that tension which keeps interest high. How far is this going to go? This is why when characters consumate their relationships it is generally done at the end of the story. Once the question of "will they or won't they" is answered, interest wanes. But it can't be strung out endlessly, either.

I think that's what makes my second book in Swords of Fire so much more exciting and fun that the first. Prophecies of Madatar is filled with sexual tension from beginning to end.

Meanwhile, I'm listening to Carly Simon, Dido, and the others. Some of the songs remind me of heartbreaks and failures in my past. That's a different kind of sexual tension. It can also inspire great stories. Swords of Fire uses that, too.

3 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
fairyhedgehog said...

Sorry, Bevie, I left a comment on here that was meant for somewhere else! (Please could you not publish it?)

This is a great post. The whole sexual tension thing underlies some of my favourite tv programs, like Stargate for example. I don't think it's just sexual tension that works, though. Non-sexual onflict between characters works too, I think.

Bevie said...

Sorry. I'm so used to publishing your comments I did so without reading it.

Tension between characters makes for interesting stories. Without it, it's just ho hum.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think