Sailors on the Sea

Friday, July 31, 2009

What Makes a Bad Story

One thing I hate about modern storytelling is the apparent need to hammer some social message into the reader/viewer. They (someone) have taken perfectly fine old stories from my childhood and changed them, adding messages where no message was intended. Removing slapstick because some a*shole finds it offensive. Well, what about the cr*p they spew out? I find it offensive.

The original Charlie Brown cartoons were about Charlie Brown failing. That was the endearing quality of the strip. And Charles Schultz made a lot of social statements in the process. He just couched them in satire instead of syrupy gloop which offends even young people. The later cartoons had Charlie Brown actually winning a baseball game. That seems sacrilege to me.

They remade a Tom and Jerry cartoon and had the characters talk, or so I was told. When I heard that I wouldn't see the movie. Tom and Jerry were only allowed to make sound when in pain. Then they got to scream. I'm sorry, but it was funny.

Lord of the Rings was a great book, but it wasn't about the race of men proving anything. It was about a world going through a transition from one way of life to another, and what it took for it to happen. Peter Jackson made a good movie, but he ruined the story.

It seems the powers that be have determined that modern readers insist on this dribble, and so they continue to put out substandard product. The truth is, the best works of fiction have no agenda - beyond telling a story.

That social commentary will be made is inevitable. However, when said commentary is done as part of the backwash of a story, as opposed to being the story, the commentary is accepted as natural, like the sound of water splashing at an old mill next to a river. When the commentary is the story, it's like this poorly made western I saw. They were in the desert hills of Arizona, and what is in the background? The songs of marsh birds. And whenever anyone would shoot and miss, hitting the sandy ground, we would hear ricochets.

That's what social commentary stories are to me. Cr*p. I'm not against social commentary. But it makes for terrible stories.

No comments:

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think