Sailors on the Sea

Friday, July 10, 2009

Where Does the Time Go Anyway

I've never been keen on reading science fiction, but I sometimes like to watch it. Was (am) a huge Star Trek fan. Not crazy, though. Never dressed up in costume. But I can give the Vulcan hand greeting with either hand without hardly thinking about it. Actually, the only real reason I didn't dress up in costume was because I couldn't afford it.

Really liked the original Star Wars. And liked each succeeding episode less than the one which preceded it.

One often theme of science fiction shows is the time thing. There's always some kind of device used to stop time for everyone other than the person with the device. Sometimes this simply involves speeding up time for one and not others. Other times time is actually stopped. It's age old and overdone, but you know what? I could really use one of those devices.

The things I want to write now are all taking up lots of time, and my days are ending before I can move from one to another. So many things are not getting done, or getting done in shoddy fashion.

Got a short episode to write before tomorrow. Only 500-words. Don't know when I'm going to get to it. Don't know how much time I'm going to need. Sometimes I can pump out 500-words in five minutes. Other times I need an hour just to write. Then, because the Muses weren't helping, I need another two hours to edit.

I have watches, but I don't think they stop time. Don't even know where they are. Haven't wore a watch since it became impossible to find those gaudy 3" leather watch bands from the 60s. I live in the past, you know.

Regarding the title of this post, wouldn't it be cool if Time really did go some place? Then, all one need do was find the place and get some of it to come back. Cool? Perhaps.

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I think it gets worse as I get older.

Bevie said...

It does fly by faster.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think