Sailors on the Sea

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Restarted With a Boost

Well, thanks to modern technology I have completed the first phase of my military history in quick order. And it only took three starts! That's not bad as world building pieces go.

I have determined who was in the military for all 352 years of the family's history. I have grouped them according to villages, and further grouped villages into eight companies. What remains now is to determine rank and promotions.

Made a couple of modifications regarding who can, and can not, be in the military. Warriors are ranked according to skill. There are nine rankings. Those in the highest three are required to return to military service early. Those in the bottom three are often excused completely, but generally the goal is for everyone to serve one or two years before returning to their assigned trade.

That's right: you read assigned trade. If your mother belongs to CROPS and your father belongs to CROPS then you belong to CROPS, and nothing is going to change that. No matter that you have artistic talent. No matter that you like to work with animals. No matter that you are gifted in healing. You are a farmer. Unless you have superior warrior skills. Then you get to spend your life in the military. Whether you want to or not. It isn't a perfect society. Just ask the Unaligned.

But things are on a roll now and moving well. Getting this completed will make me feel much better. Like last fall when I completed the assigning of every person to a specific house for every year of their life. That took a couple of months. Maybe four. Can't remember now. Or when I completed the extended family trees. That was fun. That was at least four months, and possible six or eight. I generated over one million lines of data.

Fortunately, this project will not be nearly so ambitious. I might even finish it this month.

We'll see.

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I'm glad it's going well.

I can only do detail work up to a point, then I lose interest. (You only have to look at the ragged left edges of the comments page of my blog to see that!)

Bevie said...

The detail work assures me there is balance in my world. It makes the names I use the right names, and the times and places the right times and places. I can be comfortable with what I am writing being believable. And with a work of history, believability is key.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think