Sailors on the Sea

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What is Great Writing Anyway

Here's a thought some might find offensive, or at least controversial. It is, however, what I honestly believe. I'll begin with the offending words.

The difference between great writing and good writing is simply a matter of opinion.

I say this because there are no real "rules" for being a great writer, while there are to be a "good" writer. If one cannot put together coherent sentences, or spell correctly, or use other laws of language well they fail at the good writing. And there are other "rules", which have little to do with proper sentence structure and more to do with wordiness, repetitiveness and things like that.

I have not read all of the so-called "great Authors". I've read some. For most, reading just one of their pieces was enough to teach me I never want to read another. You see, if we're truly going to be honest with each other (and ourselves), part of what helps us determine "greatness" is subject matter.

I got this dvd about Tolkien and his personal history and his writing. Apparently, there has been a great controversy since the 1950s (at least) about how well Tolkien could write. Some think he was horrible. Why? Well, the reasons they give tend to follow along the lines of making fun of the genre. Apparently, these classical minds cannot accept any writing about elves, dragons, dwarfs and such as being "good", much less "great". Those who do acknowledge Tolkien's "greatness" stress the believability of Middle Earth, and how Tolkien was able to maintain reader interest through a very long story.

To be honest, I don't know if Tolkien's writing was great or not. Don't really give a d*mn. Which brings me to my real point about "greatness". It doesn't mean anything. Not when there is criteria which has to be met in order to achieve it.

A real "great" story is any story a reader enjoys so much he/she reads it again. And again. And again. And not everybody has to like.

"Greatness" is a personal thing. I've tried reading Stephen King. I think he s*cks. Not because of the way he tells a story, or the way he puts sentences together. I don't like his stories. What do I care if he writes great? He doesn't write for me.

A few months ago I read "The Higher Power of Being Lucky" so I could join in a book chat on Evil Editor's blog. The book won the "whatever" award for best children's book. (Sorry, I'm not into awards either. AFTER NOTE: I think it was Newbury, or something like that.) I read it not thinking I would care for it much at all. But I was wrong. I really liked it. And if I hadn't packed it away with the rest of my library I would read it again. The general concensus, however, in the chat seemed to be unfavorable. For most of those who read and critiqued it (on the blog) it was far from great. For me, however, it fulfilled my definition of greatness. I enjoyed it. I read it more than once. I will read it again (once I've unpacked my library).

I think we get too hung up on being "great", and being "the best". It's stressful for us because, in our heart of hearts, I think we all know there's no such thing as the "best writer", any more than there is a "best singer", "best comic", "best painter", or whatever. If we examine history, we find that before the twentieth century there was no such thing as "the best artist" in any craft. What there was were apprentices, novices, experts, and masters. Once one reached the level of master there was no comparison anymore.

I'm against having a "bestsellers" list - from an artists' perspective. I realize the general public and those interested in making a lot of money need it. But the list is a lie, because it implies a lie. Too many people think the books on the list are somehow better than those which failed to make it. I believe it's more based on marketing than quality.

There are only a few bestseller books I have enjoyed. Generally, I don't like reading the same kinds of things "most people" read. There are exceptions. But I often find some of my best reading from the Bargain Bin at Barnes and Nobles, or Borders. Or at some book fair or garage sale.

Most of the books I have purchased through the years I have enjoyed. Many I have read multiple times. Tolkien's, "Lord of the Rings," I have read around 200 times. Willey's, "The Well-Favored Man," I've read a couple dozen. People argue about Tolkien, but nobody talks about Willey. Yet for me, they are both "great books".

I should write so well.

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I agree that it depends a lot on our individual response as readers.

One of the best books I ever read started:

"Katie the kitten, a small tiger cat, is asleep in the hall, in a ball, on the mat." I loved that book but I'm not sure I'd claim it was great literature. I rate the poetry higher than Tolkien's though. (I never did like his poems.)

Bevie said...

I don't believe anyone was/is overly keen on his poetry. He was a storyteller.

There are a host of books I enjoy which most people wouldn't even bother to read, much less buy.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think