Sailors on the Sea

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I'd Like to Teach the World to Laugh

Its fury roared like a raging torrent of water falling endlessly over the cliff which marked the beginning of death and the end of life for so many who had gone before. Vapor rose around it like dragon's breath, choking final remnants of comfort and ease from its victims' throats. The violence of its ceaseless cry echoed through the forest, spreading terror far and wide. And all the while darkness loomed like a vulture awaiting its next meal.

And now, the weather.

Sunny skies. Mild temperatures. Another cold summer day.

In case you haven't guessed for yourself, there isn't much going on today. Getting something of an emotional build-up, but can't seem to find the correct valve to open to grant release. So I thought I would be silly. Why not? It's what I do best.

I'm sitting here looking at a wine bottle sock and I'm reminded of the boss who decided I belonged in the half of the department which needed to go away.

What's a wine bottle sock? It's what my Christmas present came in back when I worked. I still remember having this conversation with the manager like a week or two before Christmas and for some reason the topic of alcohol came up. Although not a drunkard, he liked to drink, and asked me what my favorite beverages were. I told him I could not drink alcohol. Had found out the hard way that when alcohol mixes with my stomach medicine I could die. So what present do I get from the manager that Christmas? A bottle of wine. I guess that should have been my clue he wanted to get rid of me.

Kind of like a time when I was young and got into real trouble at school. I was being silly and startled the teacher. She put her hand over her heart and exclaimed, "Bevie! You scared me half to death." I did it again.

Had to stand out in the hall for an hour or two after that.

I like being silly. Sometimes. Most of the time. I have no problem laughing at things that aren't supposed to be laughed at. I guess that's why I have such a problem with modern society. Modern society seems to have trouble laughing. We're always looking to be offended about something. I think people are losing/have lost the ability to distinguish being good old-fashioned fun and true intent. There is a difference, and it generally isn't that difficult to tell the two apart. But rather than try to figure it out, people just get mad. What a shame.

In my opinion, the Bush Administration had it all wrong. They said fighting and killing and standing strong would defeat terrorism. I think victory comes with laughter. I'm probably wrong. So what? I intend to be silly anyway.

No comments:

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think