Sailors on the Sea

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Progress Report

Today is supposed to a "What am I Learning" day. However, as I'm not sure I'm learning much of anything I think I will talk about my progress with Book I - A Traitor in the Midst. (Still nothing on how that title works for anyone. Does this mean it's hateful, wonderful, boring, meh?)

Despite all that has been going on, the past two days have been highly productive. I've finished no less than five sections: four chapters and an interlude. What is more, except for one chapter, all of the sections have come in under word budget. In fact, for the entire book I'm only just 2,000-words over budget. Of course, the next three chapters are all currently over budget, so that could change in a hurry. In fact, the current size of the portion which remains is nearly as large as my goal for the entire book. Lots of shredding involved.

With the book now a third finished I find myself once again considering the hateful query letter. Like I posted on SOF-The People, I'm horrendous at convincing others anything is worthwhile. I just don't sell well. Not keen when sales clerks try to do it to me, so I hesitate to do it to others. Yet it's the only way to get a book published. I have to write a great query letter explaining why my book is just wonderful.

It's kind of odd, in a way. All of my life, since I can remember anyway, people have accused me of not caring about people and things which I find most important. When they ask me about what's important to me, I tell them, but they don't catch the excitement. Probably because I seldom show it. I feel it inside. It just doesn't come out.

It's kind of like that with my book. I think it's a fantastic story that anyone who enjoys medieval-style fantasy would enjoy. But I have a hard time saying anyone should read it. Neither will I guarantee they will enjoy it. One never can know for certain. I don't keep tabs on how often I've had this book, or that movie, recommended with assurances that I will truly enjoy it, only to find the thing entirely dull.

Anyway, it really is too early to be concerning myself with the query letter. I've got 90,000-words left, of which 30,000- to 50,000-words have to be cut in order to keep the story within budget. It's progressing, but I believe it's time to sharpen the scalpel.

No comments:

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think