Sailors on the Sea

Monday, February 16, 2009

Progress Report

Suprisingly, I actually do have a progress report to make. On February 8th I completed the new First Interlude at 66-words under my goal of 1,500-words. Yes, I know the idea is to write as much as I can, but I've also been told - many times - that a first novel cannot go much more than 100,000 words. When I finished my last edit job I was still over 157,000 words. Having cut what I believed to be all extraneous writing I was left with the daunting task of deciding which pieces of the story had to go in order to save the rest.

I struggled for a long time with how to do this. There was a point when I was thinking of starting the story several days in from where I had. That would cut out several chapters. But I would only have to find other ways to bring the information I had cut back in. Basically, I was looking at just writing a new story. That was too daunting for me. At least now. Besides, Judayl (older sister) told me she thought I was starting the story at the right place. I just needed to get rid of some of my backstory. She didn't use the word, but the word was infodump.

What is funny is that I did that with Apprentice, at the guidance of FairyHedgeHog. Apprentice became a much better story as a result. I'm quite proud of it actually. It tells a quiet story in a quiet way without putting too much in. The result is a 7,000-word story which is quite charming, I think. The funny part is that two of the four who have critiqued it told me they actually wanted more than I gave. You can't win, can you?

Anyway, I compromised with A Traitor in the Midst (my latest - and greatest [grin] - working title - somebody, please tell me how that title grabs you). I began the story on the same evening, but two turns (hours) later. Then, I eliminated the introduction of the entire Council. I only gave speaking parts to seven of the twelve, focusing on four.

I struggled with it, and with the constant interruptions from Spouse and Son. Eventually, though, I started waking at my regular time, which is like three hours before Spouse and Son, and I was able to finish Chapter One on February 15th. Not only that, but I reduced the chapter by over 3,000 words. I'm still 1,900 words over my goal of 6,000-word chapters, but I already have seven chapters which are currently less than that goal.

One chapter in a week is hardly worth bragging about, though. Except that, as you may have read in my earlier posts, I have been struggling with writing for a while now. Considering all of that, one chapter finished is a major accomplishment. I think it still works, despite what I've cut. I'll have to let someone else read it to know for certain. The Muses are happy with the results, if not my schedule.

I am very lucky. As much as the internet can tork me off, it has provided me with what I need most to go on: friends. You who read what I write and then comment back help me more than anything I can ever do for myself. Even when what you have to tell me is that I'm off base, for then you steer me back to where I need to be. You give me confidence. There is no way to repay that, although I dearly wish I could.

I give you my thanks and my love. It isn't much, but it's all I have. Thank you, for continuing to believe in me. I can't say Swords of Fire will ever be published. But it will be finished. This time for sure.

No writing for today, though. I got up three hours late this morning. And it's Presidents' Day in the U.S.A. This means Son is home from school. My only "me" time today is going to happen when I leave to go to the grocery store. Son wants to stay home alone. He's 12-1/2 and very responsible. And I won't be gone that long. Spouse will be home a good portion of tomorrow. Hopefully, I will wake at 4:00 a.m. like I'm supposed to. Then I can work on Chapter Two. Major changes to take place there. Currently, Chapter Two is 11,600-words. My goal is 6,000-words. Can I chop a chapter in half when I'm actually planning on moving a scene there from a later chapter? We'll see, won't we?

5 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I've never managed to edit any of my longer stories: I just lose track when it gets above 10,000 words or so. As far as I can see you're doing great. It's hard and time-consuming but you're getting there.

I'm cheering you on.

fairyhedgehog said...

Did I ever say I like the way you use coloured words in your blog? It works better in my RSS reader, because that's on a white background. It's cool.

Bevie said...

Thanks. I'm restricted to only a few colors because of my monitor. Everything shows up dark, so some of the colors I can't see.

I'm counting on getting up early and having Wednesday, Thursday and Friday for work.

I'm kind of rejuvinated.

Thanks.

NOTE: If you're interested in some of the source for my strangeness, read my last post on A Voice in the Wind. But you might not want to read it at night.

writtenwyrdd said...

I'm glad you haven't given up writing like you threatened to do, Bevie. It's good to hear you are writing enough to finish stories. Keep writing, because it gets better!

Bevie said...

Thanks, Writtenwyrdd. I hope so.

I'm serious about my on-line friends. Without them, I very likely would give up. (Giving up is easy unless one has friends. Friends just don't tolerate that kind of thing.)

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think