Sailors on the Sea

Friday, February 6, 2009

Physical versus Happy

A couple of days ago I wrote about my Happy Place. I like to go there. While there I can do just about anything I want. All exceptions fall into the same category: I can't do what is physically real.

While in my Happy Place I can (and do) write scene after scene for story after story. Unfortunately, no text is typed into my computer and no notebooks are written in. The scenes, stories, poems and artwork exist only in my thought. And when other thoughts push the first away, many of the first become lost forever.

To actually write anything, I have to be in a Physical Place. That's easier done than the Happy Place, but the Physical Place has its own set of problems. Foremost among these is my family's refusal to leave me in peace when I am at the computer. In my Happy Place I don't get interrupted, but neither do I really accomplish anything. In my Physical Place I get interrupted, and I don't accomplish anything.

Do you have this problem when you want to write?

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

Do you get time when they are at work and at school? I have a lot of time during the week but I mostly don't use it for writing.

Bevie said...

Well, Son has been sick the past two school days, so I've had him at home with me. And Spouse has taken to calling home during the day. Sometimes it gets stressful.

That's especially going to be true now that I have actually begun the Swords of Fire:Book I rewrite. But we'll make due.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think