Sailors on the Sea

Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Day of Minor Progress

What is it they say about the best laid plans of mice and men? Today was to be my big day for writing. Not only had I got up on time, but I would have the bulk of the day to myself. Son at school. Spouse at work. Whoopee!

I was already ahead on my laundry, thanks to yesterday's fiasco. And Spouse had done me the favor of doing the dishes last night. That's the up side of Spouse's moods. Spouse will noisily clean up the kitchen when angry. I'm not going to argue.

So, the plan was to finish at least two chapters today. That's not how it worked out.

I knew trouble was in the wind when Son failed to come down on time to get to school. Thursday is Jazz Band Day, which means Son goes in an hour early to practice with the Jazz Band. We were running late. Son never misses Jazz Band. Almost never. Turns out Son is sick. I managed to get him into the car, but only halfway to school he was hunched over an empty ice cream bucket. So it was turn around and come back home. Sick children are not condusive to creative writing. The creative juices just do not flow when one's son (or daughter) is sick.

But I have finished Chapter Three, so the day wasn't entirely lost. Tomorrow I believe I am going to my mother's apartment. She wants to give me keys and such before her surgery, which is next week Thursday. She also wants to show me where the paperwork is for her cremation - should things go badly. I don't really want to know about her cremation because I don't want there to be one. Not next week, anyway.

So, not much writing will take place on Friday. Or Saturday. Or Sunday. That means Monday is my next best shot.

My days keep getting filled up with things I don't expect. I make these plans for my days and weeks. They're good plans, too. I'm going to get all of these things done. Hardly anything does get done. Can't complain to Spouse, though. Spouse is one of my biggest interruptors. Spouse - and the d*mned telephone. I hate that instrument. I wish there was a way to make it outgoing calls only.

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

It all sounds very frustrating and difficult and worrying.

Bevie said...

Yeah. It is frustrating. I won't tell you how today went. Unbelievable.

Oh, well. Sigh.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think