Sailors on the Sea

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Discovering New Music

Music is an important part of my life. It has been since I can remember. Even as a little one of five I would get all into music. The first artist who's name I could remember was Johnny Cash. He sang Ring of Fire and I Walk the Line. (I love Rodney Crowell's I Walk the Line Revisited. It brings me back more than forty years.) I remember when we visited Grandma Amy's, Aunt Laurel would be playing Gene Pitney on the big fancy stereo. Lynahr introduced me to the Beatles, and Judayl the Monkees.

But most of the time I hadn't a clue what a song's title was, much less who sang it. There are dozens upon dozens of songs I never got because I hadn't a clue what the titles were. You would think someone who was so moved by music would pay attention to things like that, wouldn't you? I hardly ever did (do). I know a lot more now because of the (d*mned) internet. Talk about a love-hate relationship with something inanimate.

Recently, I stumbled across Eye in the Sky, by the Alan Parsons Project. It's a great song. I tried to play bass with it this past week. (Boy, do I s*ck.) But listening to the song via YouTube exposed me to other Alan Parsons Project songs. Historically, I have not listened to songs I didn't think I knew, but I gave it a go this week. Most of the songs I had never heard before, but I found I liked most of them. In fact, I have yet to come across one I don't like.

I remember the same thing happened when Stephen introduced me to the Moody Blues. (And Chinese food, and mushrooms.)

What a waste I have made of my time on this planet. Music means so much to me, and yet I have barely pursued it. All because I'm afraid of - something. D*mned if I know what. Boy, has it cost me.

Alan Parsons Project has been around for years, but I only discovered them this week. Then there are the Celtic songs I heard from exploring from Procol Harum's, Conquistador.

If I could have another dream it would be to be part of music. To play it. To sing it. To tell it. To show it. To feel it.

When I hear music it's like two liquids coming together. It mixes with me, and I am new. I'm listening to Eres Tu, by Mocedades, right now. God, I love that song. It's a song of power. It's the kind of song which makes my heart reach up with arms extended to God and weep with the desire to express love. Maybe that's why music is so important to me. Without it, I don't really express love at all.

1 comment:

fairyhedgehog said...

Someone has to be the audience! Some of the time, anyway.

I got to know a lot of classical music through the adverts on tv. For a long time Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony was "the Nescafé music".

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think