Sailors on the Sea

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Love Writing

Son was sick all week and that means I had no real free time to work on my rewrite of Apprentice. I had hoped to be finished with it by now. Instead, I was only able to put in an hour this morning before Spouse got up.

I don't know if other writers suffer from this, but the people in this place have no qualms about interrupting me when I'm writing. And I don't mean just trying to get my attention because something important needs dealing with. I'm talking about just walking up and talking, frequently about things that just do not matter and do not even require my attention. (Of course, if it does need my attention I won't hear of it until it's far too late for my input to matter. Then, when things go bad, it's all my fault for not acting soon enough.)

My sense is that they do. Why else do so many writers find it hard to generate word counts? People who don't write don't understand that writing does not turn on and off with a switch. It's kind of like making love. If you're not in the mood you can do it, but it's not going to come off very well. And interruptions don't help at all.

So, when interruptions are expected, one doesn't even try. That goes for making love and for writing.

But I did put in an hour. Hopefully Son will be well next week and returned to school during the day. Then I can finish my editing just in time to begin the NaNoWriMo thing.

We'll see.

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

It's not the same for me because I get masses of time to write but I don't always have the energy.

Bevie said...

The days of simply telling our stories to the computer so it can translate them into written words are soon upon us. I wonder if that will make a difference for you.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think