Sailors on the Sea

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Just a Quick Update

The Apprentice rewrite is under way and progressing nicely. I think.

I ran into a couple of questions about the ending, but fairyhedgehog, who said I could say is one of my critiquers for Apprentice, explained it well. In essence, I have to do a better job of showing what the questions are in Kiahva's mind and heart, and why the ending I've chosen best answers those questions.

Typically, I write quest novels, in which something has to be done, or retrieved, in order for success to happen. In these books character development and change is still important, but the focus is on the quest itself.

With Apprentice, it is the character transformation itself which is important. Furthermore, Apprentice is a short story as opposed to a full novel. It's a little bit different writing than I'm used to. But then that's how Apprentice came to be. I was experimenting with an entirely new side of creativity.

So the rewrite is moving along nicely. I had thought I might finish it this week. Not sure about that anymore. For one thing, I've only got today and tomorrow this week to work on it. After that Son and Spouse are going to be around and I can forget about getting any real work done. But barring the unexpected it will be finished next week.

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

Good luck with it, Bevie.

Bevie said...

Thanks. And thanks for the help.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think