Sailors on the Sea

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

When Time is Short

I like to write. And while the likelihood I will ever again be paid to write anything is slim, I am likely to continue writing nonetheless.

May not be continuing it online much longer, though. We are scheduled to move in less than a week, and included with that move will be a shutdown (at least temporary) of our telephone service. I connect to the internet via my telephone service. When we get to where we are going there is no guarantee I will have telephone service which includes internet access. If it does not, or if it costs more than we can afford to pay, then my online time is about over.

I do not know the likelihood of this, but I know it is possible, and so I am preparing myself for it.

What I find sad about the loss of my internet connection is not the loss of any real chance to get published. (Everything seems to require the internet now.) But I will lose the only friends I have in the world. And it's interesting to put it that way, since my friends are from all around the globe. My best friend is in England.

It doesn't seem that long ago that I virtually never went online. Even at my last job, in which I had ready access to the internet, I hardly used it. Had no reason. Now it is like my job. In the short ten months I have been active in this cyber world I have met some of the most wonderful people on the planet. I have also grown personally as a writer. I have learned things (mostly what not to do) and believe I now write much better than I did even a year ago.

It has not all been fun, though. I have made friends here and lost them, just as in my face-to-face world. One was driven from the internet, and I was helpless to prevent it. A couple others were not keen to learn Bevie James is not a woman. Sorry to disappoint. If I could change, I would. Wouldn't it be great to be a shapeshifter? Sexuality is such a part of our lives, but sometimes I wish it were otherwise. I just want to be me, and sexually, I'm not always sure what that is.

In any case, I will try to post daily over the next few days. Come next week there is a chance I will not be posting at all.

I guess we'll see how it plays out.

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I'd forgotten how a move wrecks internet access. I do hope you have internet at your new place.

Bevie said...

We may. We'll be contacting the telephone company on Thursday to see if they provide service. Currently, our access is part of the telephone connection to the house. Don't know how it is at the apartments/flats. There was a lot of talk about electronic features which I have no interest in. Generally, I'm not a telephone person (don't even own a cell phone) and I don't get cable, dish or anything like that.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think